Ed's Mug (Point Loma -- 275 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, sometimes you have great expectations for a potential dive site and they just don't work out but you have some fun anyway.

@California Diver and I went out on the Marissa to check out a target we saw on our previous dive. The latest adventure searching for new wrecks is posted below including finding Ed's long lost mug, getting buzzed by an unmanned Navy ship and an ocean liner while on deco.

If Ed is reading this post, please contact me offline so I can return your mug. I included a photogrammetry model in my post to help identify it. :)

Ed-cover.png

Regards,

- brett

Brett,
Maybe this was covered in a post by you or others but after looking at this mug picture. It had me thinking what does a photogrammetry model of a diver underwater look like?

Thanks for a fun post as always.

Future oceanoarchaeologists salute you!

In all seriousness, are you, like retired? Because I feel pretty proud of myself that I manage to get to Scout meetings every week, but you are doing long dives and really, really nice write-ups with pictures and models! Super cool.

Brett,
Maybe this was covered in a post by you or others but after looking at this mug picture. It had me thinking what does a photogrammetry model of a diver underwater look like?

Thanks for a fun post as always.

Thanks!

Yes, divers on wrecks work "somewhat" but there are some caveats:

1. They need to hold still. Photogrammetry relies on a "static" scene. If they move around, then the software has challenges aligning the photos.

2. If you have some pictures of a scene with a diver and some without, when they get blended together, it can result in some funny images. I had this happen when I was diving with Drew on the UB-88. You can see the result in the screenshot below:

drew.png

- brett

Future oceanoarchaeologists salute you!

In all seriousness, are you, like retired? Because I feel pretty proud of myself that I manage to get to Scout meetings every week, but you are doing long dives and really, really nice write-ups with pictures and models! Super cool.

Haha. Well, yes, "semi-retired." My second career is a time and money sink and doesn't pay very well but very fun and rewarding. :)

- brett

There are decent fishing cameras with 300' cables and a few with longer cables. We have saved a few tanks by dropping the video camera down first.

Yeah, I've played with them before and recently was out with Steve Lawson and we were testing his camera. It seems really hard especially if there is current, swells, etc.

I'd love to get a ROV. :)

- brett

Back
Top Bottom