Eels you have seen in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like gunn said plus these 2.......

?--unknown (real)name, I call it a yellow spotted eel..
7625765740_9e6238b01b_z.jpg
[/URL]yellow spotted eel by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

And the old reliable Golden tail...
7625715694_8bda665804_z.jpg
[/URL]golden tail moray eel by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

we have some VERY large Green Morays

Amen to that. We saw one out swimming a few years back during a morning dive, that darn thing looked like it was 20 feet long, maybe longer, and as big around as a telephone pole. And it was, of course, on a dive that we DIDN'T have our camera with us. I mentioned it to another diver the next day, evidently that eel is understandably famous in Cozumel, he said "oh yeah, you saw Dorothy," or some name like that. Haven't seen it since, but man was that an experience.

Amen to that. We saw one out swimming a few years back during a morning dive, that darn thing looked like it was 20 feet long, maybe longer, and as big around as a telephone pole. And it was, of course, on a dive that we DIDN'T have our camera with us. I mentioned it to another diver the next day, evidently that eel is understandably famous in Cozumel, he said "oh yeah, you saw Dorothy," or some name like that. Haven't seen it since, but man was that an experience.
Water magnifies things and so does N2 narcosis. :D

We saw some monster green eels towards the end of last month; 3 meters long and 50 cm in diameter. I had one of these swim past me from behind and I almost went to Code Brown. They seem to swim with a tilt; does anyone know why they do that?

Moray&DrumbyJoeChu'10.jpg

Seeing eels on a dive makes the day for me. Thanks to all for posting their pix.
Still one of my favorites... Green Moray & Drum by Joe Chu

I would think that Garden Eels, though not quite as exciting as the big Morays, count for this post. They are varieties of Conger eels. I have seen Garden Eels several times, usually in groups, 2-3 up to as many as 12-14 at a time. My last trip, I got some good short video of a couple of small garden eels popping up, then back down, then up again, from the sandy bottom toward the very end of my second dive - I think it was at Chankanaab.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom