Egypt Liveaboard March - Wetsuit Advice please all!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kate17

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi
We are going to Egypt late March on liveaboard (Brothers/Elphinstone) getting different advice on suits! Know some rec dry suit, we do have dry suits but do not wish to take, particularly with the weight and the thought of me-drysuit-rib, be good entertainment for others tho Im sure!

Am looking at getting the Mares Pioneer 5mm, then if feel chilly wearing my Fourth Element thermocline underneath as really dont want to buy a 7mm for this trip.

Have read advice how can be chilly once back onboard after a dive and to have a fleece ready to put on once out of wetsuit, but should a 5mm be enough for the dives? We are still relatively new to diving, sometimes a bit of air guzzlers so not the sort to still be down there an hour later on every dive!!!

All comments and advice be appreciated!
Thanks
Kate

I would advise a minimum of 5mm full wetsuit with hood at that time of the year - the water temperature will be hovering around 20 degrees depending on where you are. 7mm would be better, or a proper semi-dry with dry seals. I have a 6.5mm semi with dry seals and that keeps me comfortable under the water, but yes, the worst part is getting changed after the dive!

Hope that helps a bit for starters,

Cheers

C.

Thank you for advice. Know I should look at a 7mm but seems to be big price difference!

I would advise a minimum of 5mm full wetsuit with hood at that time of the year - the water temperature will be hovering around 20 degrees depending on where you are. 7mm would be better, or a proper semi-dry with dry seals. I have a 6.5mm semi with dry seals and that keeps me comfortable under the water, but yes, the worst part is getting changed after the dive!

Hope that helps a bit for starters,

Cheers

C.

, it all depends on how you deal with cold waters :)

Kate 17

Every body deals otherwise with cold...
I have done 5 live-aboards to the Brothers in the last 6 years,always in march... i dive 3 to 4 times a day...
The minimum watertemp. we had was 23° ... i dive with a 2/3mm suit from BARE always without a hood, for me it is warm.
So i think a 5mm will be good, you can bring a separated hood along if you want... A bathrobe is a good idea for directly after the dive when you put your suit off. It can be verry windy at the Brothers this time of year...

Grtz Oscar

Hey Kate, what boat are you booked on? We are on the Alter Ego March 24-April 1st. Brothers, Elphinstone and Daedelus

I'd agree that 5mm wetsuit at that time of year just about suffices. Water temperature was 21 degrees when I was out there in March. Did feel I'd had enough for the day after 2 dives. Also cold wind when you get out of the water at Dahab.

Is there a specific reason why you keep digging up threads that are months, and in some cases years old?

Back
Top Bottom