Eight Year Old Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Tours N Iraq`, i agree with you about maturity.However,this does not only applies to the younger divers,i believe it also applies to adults too(No flame intended).

I thank my parents for allowing me to learn scuba diving and to be part of a very special group.Learning scuba diving helped me to open up,built up my confidence and taught me responsiblity and also made me more concious of my environment.eyebrow

I believe that as long as the kids or teenagers show maturity in their action,they should be allowed to learn to dive.A scuba tryout would be a good gauge.

H20Bubbles:
I do find it a bit ironic that the two examples you use above have news stories about them almost yearly of people who are paralyzed and or die while in these activities. Christopher Reeve certainly had his life changed by a horse jumping accident.

Of course there are exceptions...a young african soccer player collapsed on the field away from any ball action. They later found that he died.

so let me rephrase : MOST OF THE TIME, other sports like soccer and jumping horses lead to accidents that are not necessarily life threatening....

I manage a soccer team of 20 players, and I've seen tons of injuries these last 7 years trust me...They are still playing...

well...honestly, I am not trying to be difficult. Unless you can quantify the risk as higher than some everyday activiy that we already do...like riding in a car...I am just not going to keep my children from doing it. I really want someone to address that.

catherine96821:
well...honestly, I am not trying to be difficult. Unless you can quantify the risk as higher than some everyday activiy that we already do...like riding in a car...I am just not going to keep my children from doing it. I really want someone to address that.

Catherine, I searched for material on children in diving several months back, when trying to decide whether to let my 10yr old son obtain his JR OW certification. There's not much published information. However, I did come across some info on a BSAC site which included a letter from DAN to BSAC regarding lowering the age limit in diving. The letter is a few years old, but is useful in highlighting of some key physiological concerns.

http://www.diveinstruct.org.uk/youngdivers/
http://www.diveinstruct.org.uk/youngdivers/dan.html

In summary, the DAN findings basically acknowledge that there are some fundamental physiological considerations for young divers that are largely based on theoretical knowledge about normal growth and development. However, there is just no compelling evidence to substantiate them as major contributors of increased susceptibility ... albeit, largely due to the lack of data.

Ultimately, it is up to parents to make these decisions. It should be an informed decision making process.

By the way, my son was certified this past summer. We've since, enjoyed several dive adventures, both locally and abroad. It's a very special and rewarding experience to be able to share these experiences with him. We'd like these continue so we keep our profiles as conservative as possible ... just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom