Eilat - dives per day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asherlc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Eilat this spring for a week, having recently gotten my OW certification. I'd like to make the most of my trip, so I'm wondering what the maximum number of dives per day for most people. Most of the dive center websites offer packages of 2 dives a day, but I feel like I've got many more hours in the day than that, and I'd be in Eilat pretty much exclusively to dive.

Is two dives a day a general good limit for enjoyment, or are there other options out there?

Thanks,
Asher

Hi Asher,

You might want to post this again in one of the general diving sections, as it isn't really specific to Eilat.

In my experience, new divers often overestimate the number of dives that they want to do in a day. It is surprising how quickly you can get tired and cold! That having been said, I almost always try to schedule 3-4 dives most days, if possible. This can be hard in some locations, which is why liveaboards are great for getting a lot of diving in!

I hope that helps,

In the summer, dive clubs may also offer night dives.

The clubs offer guided dives at their convenience, so if you want to make additional dives, you can team with buddies and go diving on your own. Some clubs can also offer you transportation to/from the dive sites.

So, my recommendation is try to temn up with local buddies and go diving on your own. Or you can start with guided dives first couple of days, to get to acquainted with the place, when you feel comfortable you can start teaming with buddies and go on your own.

Bear in mind that Eilat can be hot in the spring, you easily get dehydrated and tired, so take this into consideration when doing multiple dives- Don't rush it, you can do 3 dives a day, maybe four if you squeeze a night dive. But it's going to be tiring..

Sounds great to me, unfortunately I'll be traveling solo, so unless there are other SB members in Eliat, I'll have to essentially hire a buddy in the form of a DM :(

If you know what dive shop you want to use, maybe call ahead 2 days before or so and ask if they have single divers? Normally there are a few people standing about at most shops looking for partners during the day, and if the shop know that you are coming then they can also try to match you up with somebody else.

If you know what dive shop you want to use, maybe call ahead 2 days before or so and ask if they have single divers? Normally there are a few people standing about at most shops looking for partners during the day, and if the shop know that you are coming then they can also try to match you up with somebody else.

This sounds like an excellent idea -- is it considered ok to ask that about dive ops that seem mostly geared towards providing DM services? That's what most of the Eilat dive shops seem to be.

I haven't noticed that. Maybe because I don't look for a DM? :)

Octopus normally has a list of people who want a partner for dives. What used to be Barracuda also had something similar last time I was there.

I think if you go on your first day with "hired buddy/dm", you can spend your first surface interval in order to check for potential buddies- many of the dive clubs are tightly clustered, and usually they have some place where divers looking for buddies post messages with phone numbers. Unlike the winter, In spring there might be enough activity to find a buddy. Worth trying.

Hi Asher

Two dives per day is a sort of default position for a lot of dive centres worldwide. Depending on location and logistics, most will offer at least one more as an optional extra. It might be a third daytime dive or a night dive, or both, but not all dive centres will allow you to dive four times per day.

A lot of the diving in Eilat is from shore which makes the logistics a lot easier and quicker than boat diving, (boat diving is also available), and I know some centres offer four dives per day - as in two morning, one in the afternoon and a night dive, although I suspect some centres may not let you do all four per day.

The package prices offered by the centres will include a guide - and be prepared for the possibility that dive centres may not allow you to dive without a professional guide (was interestingly having this same discussion with Jai Bar in a separate thread!) so even if you find a buddy, they won't allow you to just rent tanks and jump in the water. Always best to ask in advance what their policy is regarding unguided dives, if that's what you want to do.

Hope that helps a little,

C.

Camel Diving in Sharm offers an optional 3rd dive. When the weather is not too cold or too warm, it is an attractive option. They are also heavily into Nitrox.

Good Luck!

GJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom