El Cheapo II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwbp225

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, I was thinking of ordering an El Cheapo II to build.

If I order the kit plus a BC flow restrictor with cap, will this be everything I need parts-wise to build a sensor that can be used off the BC inflator hose?

Thanks!

BTW, I just got a Mach V extreme from one of your dealers, what a great piece of kit!

Everthing is included to assemble the kit. The Oxygen sensor is also included, this will have to be replaced at some time. Keep it stored in the refridgerator, this will extend the life of the sensor, if you don't use it often. If you do use the unit often, keep it stored in a 'zip-loc' type bag to prevent the sensor from wearing out.

You will need a soldering iron with a fine point. The one I have also has an Exacto style blade tip. The hot blade was handy for cutting the needed openings in the case that they include in the kit. Most 'gun' irons do not have a fine pointed tip included - although some do - and you will kill the DPM with the stock fat tip unless you are skilled. You can get a 'pen' style iron on Amazon for less than 15 bucks. You may also need electrical tape. For cell storage and protection, the one that they include in the kit fits perfectly in a 35mm film canister.

Last edited:
You have to order them from OxyCheq directly. It's the only thing (I'm aware of) they sell direct to the public.

Mat.

You have to order them from OxyCheq directly. It's the only thing (I'm aware of) they sell direct to the public.

Mat.

Thanks, thats what I figured when then only place I could find it listed was on their website.

I built an EL Cheapo II with the same expedition sensor chamber and flow restrictor you mention.

The whole thing fits nicely in an Underwater Kinetics 309 dry box.

I have also had very good luck with a sensor saver cap which will greatly extend sensor life.

Attachments

• 309.jpg
    309.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 321
  • ECII.jpg
    ECII.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 477
Thanks for all the help, I think I'll be ordering one.

For anyone coming later, here's what I ordered, for how much, and why:
Item|$|What|Why
OA-ECII|$100|El Cheapo II kit|The basic kit.
OA-04-02|$35|BC flow restrictor with cap |To connect to your LP inflator.
OA-05-02|$4.50|Sensor saver|To make your sensor last much longer.
OA-ECII-10T|$12|10-Turn Pot|This makes it *so* much nicer to calibrate.
The kit is obvious, since that's what you're ordering. You want the BC flow restrictor *with cap* so it'll snap onto the sensor in the EC2. The sensor saver is a nice machined metal screw-on cap that seals the sensor (with much less oxygen inside than even the tightest zip-top bag). If you're going to use it every day, you don't need the cap, but if you're going to use it once a week or two (or less), your sensor will last much longer with the cap.

Now, as for the 10-turn pot... Is it a "luxury" item? Sure it is. What good does it do? With the standard pot (which is in the sealed EC2 bag with the other parts), you have about 270 degrees range of motion from one end of the calibration scale to the other. With the 10-turn pot, you have basically 3600 degrees range of motion. You don't need to finesse the knob to try to get it to land on 20.9%. (It's like having the full calibration range on the "fine tuning" adjustment.) Is it worth $12? Well, I spent the money, and I'm happy. :D

Anyway, I just built my EC2 tonight. I made it a bit differently than "stock", as I mounted everything in the "back" of the case (the side with the battery compartment). Nothing is attached to the front of the case at all, so if I need or want to open it up, I don't have any annoying battery wires or anything.

I mounted the display on the top of the now-front face, with the battery door on the bottom. In the middle, all lined up left to right, I have the sensor cable jack, the switch, and the (10-turn) pot. (I figured with the cable plugged in, it and the pot would prevent accidental switch manipulation. :biggrin:) I got the whole thing to pack neatly into a Pelican 1060 case for transport.

Now, I just have to go use it some more. :D

For anyone coming later, here's what I ordered, for how much, and why:
Item|$|What|Why
OA-ECII|$100|El Cheapo II kit|The basic kit.
OA-04-02|$35|BC flow restrictor with cap |To connect to your LP inflator.
OA-05-02|$4.50|Sensor saver|To make your sensor last much longer.
OA-ECII-10T|$12|10-Turn Pot|This makes it *so* much nicer to calibrate.
The kit is obvious, since that's what you're ordering. You want the BC flow restrictor *with cap* so it'll snap onto the sensor in the EC2. The sensor saver is a nice machined metal screw-on cap that seals the sensor (with much less oxygen inside than even the tightest zip-top bag). If you're going to use it every day, you don't need the cap, but if you're going to use it once a week or two (or less), your sensor will last much longer with the cap.

Now, as for the 10-turn pot... Is it a "luxury" item? Sure it is. What good does it do? With the standard pot (which is in the sealed EC2 bag with the other parts), you have about 270 degrees range of motion from one end of the calibration scale to the other. With the 10-turn pot, you have basically 3600 degrees range of motion. You don't need to finesse the knob to try to get it to land on 20.9%. (It's like having the full calibration range on the "fine tuning" adjustment.) Is it worth $12? Well, I spent the money, and I'm happy. :D

Anyway, I just built my EC2 tonight. I made it a bit differently than "stock", as I mounted everything in the "back" of the case (the side with the battery compartment). Nothing is attached to the front of the case at all, so if I need or want to open it up, I don't have any annoying battery wires or anything.

I mounted the display on the top of the now-front face, with the battery door on the bottom. In the middle, all lined up left to right, I have the sensor cable jack, the switch, and the (10-turn) pot. (I figured with the cable plugged in, it and the pot would prevent accidental switch manipulation. :biggrin:) I got the whole thing to pack neatly into a Pelican 1060 case for transport.

Now, I just have to go use it some more. :D

For what it is worth, the ECII was OxyCheq's first product about 8 years ago. When I lived in Alaska, a friend and I built an analyzer from a drawing in the Oxygen Hacker's Book and called it the El Cheapo. In their design, they used a non-liner pot. It was extremely difficult to calibrate so changed the design and used a linear pot and that became the ECII Kit.

I got tired of people asking me to build them for me, so we designed another analyzer and that production unit became the Expedition. Lots has happened since then and we are continuing to grow the line and develop new products.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom