Emergency ascent with a stuck inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for going off topic here, but all this talk about pony bottles, Air 2, Air 3, quick disconnect adapters, inline horns, etc. makes me wonder why divers feel the need to come up with convoluted solutions for problems that shouldn't exist. A simple octopus, preferably bungeed around the neck where it won't come loose and drag in the sand and a primary long enough to be donated is a simple, yet most reliable way to dive. Eliminating one hose by introducing new problems is not simplifying things. Sometimes we need to step back, look at our gear and decide what we can do without.

Last edited:
Sorry for going off topic here, but all this talk about pony bottles, Air 2, Air 3, quick disconnet adapters, inline horns, etc. makes me wonder why divers feel the need to come up with convoluted solutions for problems that shouldn't exist. A simple octopus, preferably bungeed around the neck where it won't come loose and drag in the sand and a primary long enough to be donated is a simple, yet most reliable way to dive. Eliminating one hose by introducing new problems is not simplifying things. Sometimes we need to step back, look at our gear and decide what we can do without.

...and if we all do that, who's gonna be out there stimulating the economy ? :)

Sorry for going off topic here, but all this talk about pony bottles, Air 2, Air 3, quick disconnet adapters, inline horns, etc. makes me wonder why divers feel the need to come up with convoluted solutions for problems that shouldn't exist. A simple octopus, preferably bungeed around the neck where it won't come loose and drag in the sand and a primary long enough to be donated is a simple, yet most reliable way to dive. Eliminating one hose by introducing new problems is not simplifying things. Sometimes we need to step back, look at our gear and decide what we can do without.

couldn't have said it better. Simple is always better. adding redundancy when it's not required just introduces more points of failure.

OTOH, if you keep having problems with this and decide to throw equipment at the problem :D the best option is an inline shut-off valve for the inflator.

If you aren't going to do that, the only safe way is to regularly practice hose disconnects every dive until you are 100% you'll be able to that in an emergency, and then keep on practicing every now and then. And of course maintain your inflator. The hose flush, while nice, is not a substitute.

Whatever you do, don't ignore the issue hoping it won't happen and when it happens it you'll be able to deal with it. Chances are you'll find yourself vertical and too late to vent before you get into a runaway situation.

Sorry for going off topic here, but all this talk about pony bottles, Air 2, Air 3, quick disconnect adapters, inline horns, etc. makes me wonder why divers feel the need to come up with convoluted solutions for problems that shouldn't exist. A simple octopus, preferably bungeed around the neck where it won't come loose and drag in the sand and a primary long enough to be donated is a simple, yet most reliable way to dive. Eliminating one hose by introducing new problems is not simplifying things. Sometimes we need to step back, look at our gear and decide what we can do without.

Well, here's my take on things being the op: As I previously mentioned, I am not an advocate for the Air 2 or 3. Many people like them, and if they and their buddies are trained in using them then what's the problem? They have eliminated a hose, thus are more streamlined and less of a tangle hazard. Obviously they are not cave diving with this settup.(I hope)
With or without my Dive Alert horn in place, I would have still had an issue with doing the disconnect with thick gloves so I was looking for options: three were very helpful. i.e., the buttons or hats that allow me to grab, disconnecting my diver alert and keeping it in my pocket(which by the way may come in handy if other means of signalling a boat don't work), and last but not least, maintenance of my inflator.
As far as having a simple settup, I don't think you can ask for any more of a clean settup than I have (except that I have a bc(one strike, and a compass on a retractor.)
In my opinion all of those who posted were trying to be helpful and I appreciate their input.
Also, in my opinion only, and I know it has been discussed forever, I don't consider a long hose on a primary a simple answer to having the perfect unconvoluted(is that a word) settup if one is strictly a recreational diver. And just because my octopus isn't bungied around my neck doesn't mean that it is in a position that it going to drag in the sand.

And just because my octopus isn't bungied around my neck doesn't mean that it is in a position that it going to drag in the sand.

Do yourself a favor, however:

Use your octo on a regular basis - at depth. Best way to ensure it's functioning properly (dragged in the sand or not) is to use it regularly; every dive would be my recommendation.

Would really suck for your BUDDY to discover a problem for you...at the worst possible moment.

Do yourself a favor, however:

Use your octo on a regular basis - at depth. Best way to ensure it's functioning properly (dragged in the sand or not) is to use it regularly; every dive would be my recommendation.

Would really suck for your BUDDY to discover a problem for you...at the worst possible moment.

I absolutely agree....and the same with the pony.

Hi There, I am from the north east as well, just a little bit further north in Nova Scotia. A few years back I was a tender in the boat when about 20 ft. away a diver shot out of the water to about waist hight. He was diving with a 100 lb lift OMS BC when his inflater stuck. He was at 80 ft and past no deco. limits. He didn't think to pull on the inflator hose or hold it above his BC and manually deflate, all he did is flare and blow. He survived, I got him close to shore where he did his deco stop as safely as possible.
Pervention is key here, yes cleaning your gear is important but drying it is also important especially if a freeze-up is possible. After rinsing attach your reg. to a tank, connect the BC and press the purge buttons on the 2nd stages and hit the power inflate on the BC. also activate the sonic alert or any other device you my connect to your reg. this will force clean dry air (if your air source is good) through the valves and dry out the system. It also helps to bring the system into a warm, dry enviroment, remove the protective caps and let it dry out like that as well. I put mine by the fire, but not too close. don't forget the drysuit valve as well.

I don't see that DD suggested the conventional octo be eliminated. :)

Yes he did, you can read his follow up post. The LP connection to the air2 is proprietary and you can't use it on a regular inflator. I realize you're suggesting that using both the air 2 and an additional octo is possible, but that's not what DD had in mind, at least he did not say so, and I'm sure you understand it's a bit of a round-about solution to a sticky inflator problem.

I assume you're being somewhat tongue-in-cheek about this. :wink:

Well, here's my take on things being the op: As I previously mentioned, I am not an advocate for the Air 2 or 3. Many people like them, and if they and their buddies are trained in using them then what's the problem? They have eliminated a hose, thus are more streamlined and less of a tangle hazard. Obviously they are not cave diving with this settup.(I hope).
An octo bungeed around the neck is very streamlined. It also doesn't require taking it out of your mouth to dump your BC. You can dive with anyone, trained to use an Air2 or not.

Also, in my opinion only, and I know it has been discussed forever, I don't consider a long hose on a primary a simple answer to having the perfect unconvoluted(is that a word) settup if one is strictly a recreational diver. And just because my octopus isn't bungied around my neck doesn't mean that it is in a position that it going to drag in the sand.
Octos do come out of their holders, clips and BC pockets. You can't always see when they do. Having one under your chin assures you that it is right there when you need it. I haven't done any tech diving for several years, but I still like the long hose. It's great to be able to swim alongside or in line with an OOA diver without having to hold them by the BC close to your face. It makes ascending in an OOA situation much more comfortable for you and the OOA diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom