Emergency First Response Instructor Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northeastwrecks

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Last Saturday (4/19/03), I took the new EFR Instructor Course.
The new material is interesting, to say the least.

Background:

EFR is PADI's new first aid course. It has been recognized by several agencies, including the Coast Guard. Not surprisingly, it also satisfies the requirements for PADI Rescue Diver.

I'm a PADI DM with about 2 weeks left until I finish AI. I'm certified as an MFA provider, O2 Provider, AED User and have taken DAN's Hazardous Marine Life course. I've also taken advanced First Aid courses and had additional training in the U.S. Army.

One new and significant addition to the old MFA curriculum is DM's and AI's can become EFR Instructors.

The instructor course must be taught by an insured, teaching status PADI Course Director.

I took my course with Ralph Giglio at Regional Scuba in Newburgh, NY. He is a very good trainer.

The Course.

I arrived on Friday night. We started at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday night. We finished about 11 hours later. There is a written final. In addition, instructor trainees must teach 2 skills at role model demonstration quality.

The major theme of the course is that appropriate care delivered promptly is better than perfect care withheld. In other words, we are supposed to encourage students to react within the limits of their training by doing something, rather than standing by and refusing to administer care because they might not provide perfect care.

EFR can be broken down into two sections. The first section involves treatment of life threatening injuries. That's where the students are taught to assess a situation, activate EMS, establish and maintain an airway, check for breathing and perform rescue breaths, check for circulation and provide one rescurer CPR, treat serious bleeding and shock and react to spinal injuries.

This section assumes that EMS has been activated and is on the way.

The second section of the course is Secondary Care. The students are taught to assess non life threatening injuries or illnesses and deal with splinting. AED's and continuous flow oxygen are also covered.

The second section assumes that EMS is unavailable or has been delayed.

Opinion:

My instructor trainer was excellent. He has really bought off on PADI's prescriptive teaching method, which works if you have motivated students. I'm not sure that I'll use it when I teach, but it did work for an instructor level course.

The breadth of skills taught is adequate. Personally, I thought that the course was a little to basic. In particular, it didn't cover burns, poison, neurological evaluations for DCS and embolisms, certain immobilization techniques (neck collars, SAM splints, etc...), the use of a stethescope and blood pressure cuffs and special techniques for infants and children. Tourniquets have been dropped entirely, although I believe that this is an industry trend). Similarly, lack of a carotid pulse is no longer required prior to administering CPR (turns out most people can't find it anyway).

EFR emphases the provision of adequate, rather than perfect, care, This emphasis on actually convincing students to perform first aid is undoubtedly a good idea, so long as the proper standards are maintained and strictly evaluated.

Overall, I was pleased with the course and would recommend it to DM's, AI's and crossover instructors.

My LDS taught one of the very first go rounds of this class last fall.

I was one of the very first students to take it. I did think it was quite simple but then I realized that that was exactly the point. In many situations, you can't do anything to hurt the person more, so this class directs you to act. I think that is a really good philosophy. Where I dive most of the time we are within 6-8 minutes of emergency care so it was a great..."first response" class.

I'd really recommend it. I'm not scared to act if the situation should arise, good call allround.

ColdH20diving once bubbled...
Great information, I was thinking about taking the instructor class this summer. What are they charging for the class?

AS I recall, something like $350.00, which included the "deluxe" participant package. That means your students get a nice red zippered cover for manual, an excellent manual with a list of procedures in the back for many types of activities, and a truly pathetic first aid package (bandaids, gloves and very basic stuff).

I'm planning to offer a pre-assembled first aid kit for my students. Essentially, it'll be a stripped down version of mine. It won't include the equipment that they aren't trained to use (intubators, BP cuff, stethescope (sp?), neck collar) , but it will include stuff for burns, splinting, first aid, harzardous marine critters and hypothermia, along with the usual stuff.

Why not take an EMT-B class? It's only one semester, that will provide you with the below mentioned skills and including some limited advanced life support such as advanced airway maintenance, it gives you ALL of the BLS skills and some very useful LALS skills. (FYI, things are changing again, EMT-B scope of practice will in the next few years include manual defib, ecg interpritation, first round of cardiac drugs, IV therapy and possibly needle thoracostomy, DOT is still tossing the idea of the latter around) Regardless, off duty scope of practice for EMT-B's and EMT-P's is still BLS only. It's interesting enough though and will certainly add to your already well established foundation in first aid and kicked up to a level of actual emergency medicine, not to mention, help you develope a competetance in patient accessment, whish is probably the BIGGEST thing lacking in ANY first aid course (even the PADI "medic" first aid course). You can never go wrong with mastering patient assessment. I think your on the right track here, but I bet you'd have fun in an EMT class and combine that with scuba instruction, makes for a very (medically) prepared instructor.

When recerting CPR with my refresher class, I found when they removed checking for a carotid pulse and "look for life signs" to pardon my *@^#%# but fricken SCARY. Nothing like having someone pumping on your chest when your simply having a syncopal episode to take ya right out of a normal sinus rhythm!
I think learning pulse detection points should still be mandatory and that forcing any first aider to become competant at locating them and accurately determining if there is a pule present or not before someone starts compressions. So, I was pretty dismayed by this. Luckily, we're still allowed to actually verify that someone is pulseless and apnic before we pump and jump. Anyway, sounds like your having fun with this, I really think you'd enjoy an EMT class though.

-Dennis

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
*snip*
The breadth of skills taught is adequate. Personally, I thought that the course was a little to basic. In particular, it didn't cover burns, poison, neurological evaluations for DCS and embolisms, certain immobilization techniques (neck collars, SAM splints, etc...), the use of a stethescope and blood pressure cuffs and special techniques for infants and children. Tourniquets have been dropped entirely, although I believe that this is an industry trend). Similarly, lack of a carotid pulse is no longer required prior to administering CPR (turns out most people can't find it anyway).
*UNSNIP*
[/B]

If thier are in fact, pulsless and apnic, your right, you can't hurt them anymore with compressions. the only alternative to CPR is death. But, for someone who may be having a hard time detecting a pulse due to lack of proficiency in doing so, can cause trucks loads of problems for someone who's got a sinus rhythm. They may just have poor systolic pressure waves. :)

-Dennis
Hey! Asystole is a STABLE RHYTHM! *wink*

bwerb once bubbled...
My LDS taught one of the very first go rounds of this class last fall.

I was one of the very first students to take it. I did think it was quite simple but then I realized that that was exactly the point. In many situations, you can't do anything to hurt the person more, so this class directs you to act. I think that is a really good philosophy. Where I dive most of the time we are within 6-8 minutes of emergency care so it was a great..."first response" class.

I'd really recommend it. I'm not scared to act if the situation should arise, good call allround.
:D :D :D

That's why I wish that they would have taught other means of checking for circulation beyond a carotid pulse and teaching proper carotid pulse detection.

EFR's position is that non-breathing an unconscious adults are, in the vast majority of cases, without a pulse.

Back
Top Bottom