Emergency First Response?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With respect, scuba_freak, there are several rather worrying trends in your posts which set several alarm bells ringing.

I'm interested cos I'm about to do an occupational first aid instructors course- for those of you who dont know the Occupational First Aid is soooooooooooo boring and unnecessarily long.
If you're about to do it, how are you aware that it's long an boring?

And when I become an Instructor I'm gonna try and ship shape the curriculum to be much shorter than it is!! As well as make me some €€€€€
I think this statement speaks for itself.

Whats more interesting. Sitting in class listening to someone for about 6-7 hours, or actually participating and being active for the most part of it?
Obviously, I strive to dive as safely as possible, but it's naïve to believe that you are immune to incidents, and, thus, as somebody who might one day be in trouble, I'd feel much happier about a properly trained first aider coming to my rescue, rather than somebody who found it boring to the point of
barely remember[ing] the 15-2 x 4 on the CPR

This isn't intended as an attack upon you, scuba_freak, it's just your posts do come across as a little reckless with regards to safety. Bear in mind that EFR and Rescue Diver courses are just that; they are not adventure specialities, nor are they there to entertain. They are there to teach you to become a more responsible and aware diver, and because one day they may just save someone's life, your own included.

Smoking mirror,

how do i know it's boring? Because in the last 8 years i've done the OFA course and it's refresher. And i find it boring. Plain and simple. I think the way the instructor puts the info across is dull- and does nothing to combine student interaction. Maybe i lucked out and got a crappy instructor.

Not once would i EVER jeopardise safety when it comes to first aid or diving courses when it comes to students or student skills. In fact I pride myself on safety as thats how I was taught scuba diving- safety first- dive second.

I must clear something up as it seems everyone has taken this post as a money making objective for me and a lazy and dangerous way to approach it.

MFA was replace by EFR. The difference? the curriculum structure and the ease of which the info was taught. I for one find EFR MUCH more student / instructor friendly. Yet all the info is still there. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Training standards have gotten better in recent years and different teaching methods have since proved very successful.

OFA curriculum hasn't changed in years.

I'm not trying to "dumb down" anything. I wasn't trying to come about "reckless."

And I'm quite aware the EFR and rescue aren't adventure specialties. I take them quite serious.

I also COMPLETELY agree with your point below
SmokingMirror:
Obviously, I strive to dive as safely as possible, but it's naïve to believe that you are immune to incidents, and, thus, as somebody who might one day be in trouble, I'd feel much happier about a properly trained first aider coming to my rescue, rather than somebody who found it boring to the point of barely remember[ing] the 15-2 x 4 on the CPR

If you re-read my post thats a quote from someone who is supposed to be properly first aid trained - from an occupational first aid course.
SF

Scuba_freak:
If you re-read my post thats a quote from someone who is supposed to be properly first aid trained - from an occupational first aid course.
SF

The statement wasn't necessarily aimed at you, more at the idea of a diver who wasn't properly trained due to boredom with the classes. To be fair, prior to your recent post, I had considered you to be one such diver, which was unfair and - in light of your clarification - I apologise.

On reflection, I think - as you've stated yourself - that it might just have been your instructor. We all remember, I'm sure, certain teachers at school who, regardless of the lesson subject, could make the class fun and interesting, and, conversely, teachers who did everything in their power to ensure you were as bored to learn the lesson subject as they were to teach it.

Back
Top Bottom