Emirates Carry On restrictions to Dubai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The scuba shop I go to (and teach with) has a trip there, and if you don't reserve a spot early you don't get one. I don't think it saves much money though :)

For example, we returned yesterday from Indonesia (Lembeh & Bali)...we booked the trip in Oct 2012!

What??? Wow!!!!!

What??? Wow!!!!!

Yeah... Maldives is fall...2015. Already all but two spots sold :)

Traveling via Emirates to Male in two weeks. I'm trying to figure out the carry on restrictions right now re: regulator and camera gear.

If you are flying the same route I did, JFK-Dubai-Male, be careful. They enforced the 15 lb carry on rule with me. We were on a very big plane. Seating was 3 on each side and 4 in the middle. That's 10 people per row sharing overhead bin space.

Had a great trip regardless. Diving and dive boat in Maldives was fantastic.

We have just returned from the Maldives. We flew with Emirates London to Dubai to Male. We were economy on both the Dubai to Male flights and we didnt see them weigh anyones hand luggage. The other flights were business class. All our flights were on A380s which does have smaller overhead bins...but it didnt appear to be a problem. My husband carried his reg etc in his carry on bag. Unfortunately our trip on Honors Blue Legacy/Blueotwo was a shambles from beginning to end. Will write a review when I have calmed down a bit !

We have enough Krisflyer Miles to buy economy then upgrade to business on Singapore Air from either SFO or LAX though Singapore and on to Male when we go next year. Probably pick the long route with the A380 as I have heard the business seats are better than those on the 777. Anyone have any experience on both? I have flown business on a 777 before but not the A380. Thanks.

James R, I have flown many many times on both the 777s and A380s in business class with Emirates....A380s are better..the seat pods as I call them are more private on the A380, a nicer space, with one to hide your shoes....and dont forget the bar at the back !...A great place to stand and chat to fellow passengers, its terrific !!!....................and if going thru Dubai you get to board the A380 from the lounge itself...pretty cool....

Thanks for the info...I imagine it's quieter on the upper deck as well.

If you are flying the same route I did, JFK-Dubai-Male, be careful. They enforced the 15 lb carry on rule with me. We were on a very big plane. Seating was 3 on each side and 4 in the middle. That's 10 people per row sharing overhead bin space.

Had a great trip regardless. Diving and dive boat in Maldives was fantastic.

That is the route we are taking. We will be diving on the Carpe Vita. Not looking forward to the travel. But we are so looking forward to the diving. This is our first live aboard adventure after 300+ dives from shore based operations.

As of Jan 2015, the carry-on restriction is still in place, although they did not weigh every bag. If it "looked" like it wasn't heavy, they didn't bother. Mine was about 25 pounds but loaded in a backpack optimized to look small and I had no problems. I saw others struggle and I few voluntarily checked bags.

One ingenious individual filled her winter jacket pockets with many of the heavier items in her carry-on, including wearing a "mini" backpack under her jacket. She looked like a rather large individual. And then she unpacked it all back into her carry-on once luggage was checked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom