Emperor Echo damaged; guests and crew safe.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only done day boats in Egypt, but it would be wise to have insurance when on a LOB as well as having important documents in a dry bag just in case of a situation like this.

Happily the passengers and crew are safe and well.
Agreed. I always make sure my DAN Europe dive and travel insurance are up to date. Dry bag for passport, wallet and small valuables is a must, in my opinion.

Nice how they just talk about the irreversible damage to the ship’s hull - no mention of the “irreversible damage” to the reef that the ship has likely caused…
I'd expect any operator to put as positive a spin as possible on any incident.

We had a fantastic week on Echo in July on the Daedalus, Fury Shoal and Elphinstone route. I really feel for all involved.

We are big fans of Emperor, their older boats in particular are showing signs of age, but are well maintained. Where Emperor stands out from the crowd is the quality of their service and particularly the excellence of their guides. The food on the Echo trip in particular was outstanding. And looking at trip reports from other boats since then, it’s obvious that we were jaw dropping oh lucky with the big things on our trip.

It’s simply wrong to say that there are many many accidents on liveaboards in Egypt. There are 170 Safari boats in the water every week in Egypt plus hundreds and hundreds of day boats every day for diving and snorkelling. In life you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The people involved in these incidents were very very unlucky. How many car accidents happen every day ? And how much gun crime happens in America ?
See this table This morning in Egypt ...
This is the third reported incident this year 3/170 = 1:57 chance.

I have doubts that statistics are working like that, but it is too long ago that i was that deep in the matter.
However, after the first incident, there were only 169 and after the second only 168 boats around. So at least that part is wrong...
Just my smartass contribution... No discussion intended... 😁😎

Does anyone have more details about the Echo incident? Has she sunk? What's about reef damage?

Are there more liveaboards in Egypt than the rest of the world combined? Because it seems like I hear about more accidents in Egypt than the rest of the world combined. What were the last 10 major liveaboard accidents in the world?

Was on her in June--good boat and crew.

Just got a short What's App video and the only thing on the surface is a small section of decking and what looks like the bridge.

Geez…170 liveaboards…thatsalata boats.
Was there in September on the Aggressor and yes there are tons of liveaboards there. One dive site I counted 7 boats tied up. Two of the dive sites we dove had remains of dive boats that had gone down one was from two years ago. Looking at the conditions of a few of the boats I saw there will be some more wreck dives in the near future. With that said there is some great diving in the Red Sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom