Employment related question - Dreadlocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In decision theory we often employ what's known as a "least-regret decision model" in situations such as this. Essentially what you do is assume you made Decision #1 and then analyze the potential that you would regret that decision, in terms of both likelihood and impact. Then, do the same for Decision #2.

A quick analysis based on pure logic:

Decision #1 - Grow Dreadlocks:
  • Likelihood of Dreadlocks impacting job offer: Low/Medium/High (Depending on hiring manager's bias)
  • Impact: High (Don't get the job)
  • Regret: Med/High (Low/Med/High x High = Med/High)

Decision #2 - Don't Grow Dreadlocks:
  • Likelihood of Dreadlocks impacting job offer: Zero (Not having dreadlocks will not be held against you*)
  • Impact: Zero (No Dreadlocks, no impact)
  • Regret: None (0 x 0 = 0)

Seems like a pretty simple decision to me.

*Unless you're looking for a job at a Rastafarian dive shop.

I think your approach is a good one but I doubt for the OP that regret about not growing dreadlocks would be zero. They obviously would like to have dreadlocks so not growing them would be regretful. As someone who went from hair past my butt to no hair I can relate to the feelings of one contemplating a radical hair change. Whilst I am growing my hair back to its old length, I am glad I got to try out the whole bald thing, just for curiousity and would have regretted not trying it out.

lol RJP good equation. As stated I would like to grow dreadlocks at some point through curiosity, I think I will get my hair cut until I find a permanent position and then begin growing out my hair longer with the potential of growing dreads at a later date.

Why don't you say what you really mean... "I'm going to stop washing my hair." :rofl3:

Seriously though. Would you wear a suit and tie to interview for a job on a construction site? My point being, what are the other people where you want to work wearing? What are their grooming standards. If they have a laid back island life approach to diving and it is reflected in how they dress or groom themselves, you are probably safe.

Regardless, I'd look into their professionalism and safety record first. It that isn't up to snuff, you probably don't want to work there anyway.

Good luck!

I think your approach is a good one but I doubt for the OP that regret about not growing dreadlocks would be zero. They obviously would like to have dreadlocks so not growing them would be regretful. As someone who went from hair past my butt to no hair I can relate to the feelings of one contemplating a radical hair change. Whilst I am growing my hair back to its old length, I am glad I got to try out the whole bald thing, just for curiousity and would have regretted not trying it out.

So when you say, "no hair" and "the whole bald thing" you mean...

Come on, I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking.

:rofl3: :angel::banana:

Last edited:

Mean what? I don't understand. I think you're just going to have to ask directly what you mean!

The reality is that unless the owner/manager is wearing dreads having them will, at best, be a tiebreaker against you.

Mean what? I don't understand. I think you're just going to have to ask directly what you mean!

What he means is...

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

That's crass man, you need improvement. Think about it. I wouldn't be laughing if I were you, I'd be apologetic. Not that Sas can't stand up for herself, she does that better than most.

Good diving, Craig

That's crass man, you need improvement. Think about it. I wouldn't be laughing if I were you.

Good diving, Craig

Well I'm still waiting for him to spell out exactly what he meant so I can be clear about what he is asking.

Back
Top Bottom