Eneloop Users - Any Issues Underwater ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They have worked better and lasted longer than any battery I've tried. I'm working on the same set in my YS-110 strobes for over two years now. I charge them on a fan cooled fast charger in 15 minutes with no loss. The only issue you might have is that with any rechargeable, eneloop included, the voltage is lower than a non- rechargeable battery (1.2v compared to 1.5v). Some camera models are voltage sensitive and will show a dead battery signal or shut down prematurely with rechargeable batteries, unless they are full voltage lithiums.

Greetings all,

First off, thanks to all of you that post regularly. This forum, and it's members are such an invaluable tool for education, tips, pointers, etc.

So, I'm ready to get some re-chargeable's for my camera, strobe, etc., and I'm looking hard at the Eneloop's. Lot's of people post here how great they are, which I believe. If you go to the eneloop website, it states not to use on underwater lamps because they are airtight and may prevent potential gas from the batteries, from being diffused. I suppose that could be said for ANY battery. With that said, anyone ever have ANY issues with Eneloops or any of the other re-chargeables ?

Muzikbiz22, in So. Cal.

Used to use only them...with hundreds and hundreds of dives.. never had an issue.. however, have switched to the Nickel zinc ones... faster recycling... more flashes and they do not seem to get as hot when charged or discharged...

They have worked better and lasted longer than any battery I've tried. I'm working on the same set in my YS-110 strobes for over two years now. I charge them on a fan cooled fast charger in 15 minutes with no loss. The only issue you might have is that with any rechargeable, eneloop included, the voltage is lower than a non- rechargeable battery (1.2v compared to 1.5v). Some camera models are voltage sensitive and will show a dead battery signal or shut down prematurely with rechargeable batteries, unless they are full voltage lithiums.

Try the Nickel Zinc ones... 1.8 volts fully charged.. I have been using them in my set of YS110's...best batteries I have ever used...

With the older Inon strobes with the incandescent model light you should be careful with 'higher" voltage batteries.

N

With the older Inon strobes with the incandescent model light you should be careful with 'higher" voltage batteries.

N

I have heard that worry, and know that there are a couple of devices that have high voltage sensors, and cannot use them. But under discharging conditions...under load...they have almost identical voltage to standard batteries.

That maximum of 1.8 only happens with completely charged batteries, under absolutely no load. Put even a small load on them and one is around 1.5 to 1.55.

Even compared to alkaline batteries...they have almost identical in use voltage to start, but keep their voltage far better. So if their voltage is an issue, then don't ever use regular batteries.

On my last trip, due to having to carry on all my batteries, I used some disposables for my regular dive lights (so I did not have to carry them back with me)...have gotten so used to how stable the light output is, that I was shocked how quickly the light output dropped. After one hour of use, the difference was obvious. With NiZic, you cannot tell the difference after over 5 hours.

I know of no person that has actually tested them that is not using them.

A simple test, if you have two strobes:

Put low discharge in one... put NiZic in the other.

Set the strobes to maximum output.

Fire off as many flashes as you think is necessary for a good test.... I've done it until the recycle time was twice what it started with the slowest set.

Remove batteries and see how hot they are.

Repeat with the batteries recharged and exchanged in the units (so that strobe differences are removed)

The effect is quite amazing to see.

If you have a smart charger, set the recharge rate to match the NiZic recharger and see the battery charging temperature difference. With mine, the low discharge got almost too hot to comfortably touch.. and the NicZic were room temp.

This is one of those items that the "experts" seem to have trouble understanding.

What I was getting at is the instruction in the Inon manual on the older strobes that the modeling light would burn out. It warns you to deplete the batteries with a few shots to prevent burning out the bulb and I imagine that would hold with the type you are using. N

No issues, highly recommended.

Thank you EVERYONE for your input. I'm sold. See you all below !!!
Muzikbiz22 in So Cal

Be sure to get yourself a good "smart" charger, like the MAHA charger, or your Enloops will soon be fried.

Thomas Distributing is a great place for all your battery and charger supplies.

Their battery tote is also sweet.

Be sure to get yourself a good "smart" charger, like the MAHA charger, or your Enloops will soon be fried.

Thomas Distributing is a great place for all your battery and charger supplies.

Their battery tote is also sweet.

The battery holder is actually from Delkin (I think) but the coolest part of it is that it has duck feet (or fins if you prefer) on the bottom. Very cool.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom