Entangled for the first time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my second solo I got tangled on my own dive buoy line that I was towing when the current shifted directions, since I dive almost all the time the same reef I keep calm, went to the bottom (40 ft) and took my BCD off and dealt with the line off my 1st stage valve, no problem. There was a dive instructor teaching a OW class about 20 ft from where I was and he was concerned. About the time he was coming to help me I took care of the problem. When I got out he was waiting at the shore and shook my hand and ask me how long I have been diving. He was surprised when I told him , " I just got my C-card two weeks ago". Then he say, " you must had been paying attention during your course, most of the new divers do not even know what to do if they get tangle on fishing line.

I always carry my Titanium knife rig to my BCD and carry shears in the pocket. Every time I solo dive I check and double check all my gear the night before, when I arrive at the dive site one more time and during the dive always practicing different scenarios on my head on what to do if something goes wrong. I am a true believer that if you read you will learn, so I am always reading about diving and incidents involving divers. Then I start by making a list of errors and what to do to fix it. That is one thing I learned in the armed forces, be prepare for the unexpected, always and you will survive.

My wife says that I am always reading and thinking too much, well what I can say, I am a disable veteran that still think I am in the military because I always plan ahead.

Back
Top Bottom