Environmental Police

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dearman:
I had a friend who wanted to build low profile 360 cameras to put on the roof of your car running on a continuus loop. His theory was it would keep both sides a little more civil. It would be nice to have during an accident as well. Mount a few of those on the boats and cars in Mass and I think the honest diver's problems will go away.

This is very easy to do, get an old laptop computer and 1 or 2 cheap ( $15 or sometimes free after rebates) web cams. remove the stand from the webcams and replace with velcro and velcro the dash also.. use the video capture software that comes with the cams and have the files auto delete after 24hrs and your done...
it worked for me, just had to remember to turn on the laptop- or you could leave it on all the time and use the motion detection part of the capture software, however doing it this way I dont know the drain on your car battery.

Here is the New York legislation:

S 71-0525. Powers of designated departmental officers and employees and
members of the state police.
1. All police officers, such employees as may be designated by the
commissioner, and all peace officers, when acting pursuant to their
special duties, shall enforce the provisions of this chapter listed in
section 71-0501 or under titles 5 through 15 inclusive and title 33 of
this article, or of judgments obtained for violation thereof, and shall
have, particularly, the following powers:
a. To execute all warrants and search warrants issued for violation of
articles 11 and 13 and titles 9 of this article and to serve subpoenas
issued for examination, investigation or trial of offenses against any
of its provisions;
b. To search without search warrant any boat or vehicle of any kind,
any box, locker, basket, creel, crate, game bag, package or any
container of any nature and the contents of any building other than a
dwelling whenever they have cause to believe that any provision of this
article or of any law for the protection of fish, shellfish, crustacea,
wildlife, game or protected insects has been or is being violated, and
to use such force as may be necessary for the purpose of examination and
search;
c. To search any dwelling and its contents, provided they have a
search warrant to do so;
d. To arrest without warrant any person committing in their presence a
misdemeanor under this chapter listed in section 71-0501 or under titles
5 through 15 inclusive and title 33 of this article and to take such
person immediately before a magistrate having jurisdiction for trial.
2. A peace officer, acting pursuant to his special duties or a police
officer shall have the same powers as environmental conservation
officers and state police under the fish and wildlife law, except the
power to search without a warrant.

dscheck:
Here is the New York legislation:

S 71-0525. Powers of designated departmental officers and employees and
members of the state police.
1. All police officers, such employees as may be designated by the
commissioner, and all peace officers, when acting pursuant to their
special duties, shall enforce the provisions of this chapter listed in
section 71-0501 or under titles 5 through 15 inclusive and title 33 of
this article, or of judgments obtained for violation thereof, and shall
have, particularly, the following powers:
a. To execute all warrants and search warrants issued for violation of
articles 11 and 13 and titles 9 of this article and to serve subpoenas
issued for examination, investigation or trial of offenses against any
of its provisions;
b. To search without search warrant any boat or vehicle of any kind,
any box, locker, basket, creel, crate, game bag, package or any
container of any nature and the contents of any building other than a
dwelling whenever they have cause to believe that any provision of this
article or of any law for the protection of fish, shellfish, crustacea,
wildlife, game or protected insects has been or is being violated, and
to use such force as may be necessary for the purpose of examination and
search;
c. To search any dwelling and its contents, provided they have a
search warrant to do so;
d. To arrest without warrant any person committing in their presence a
misdemeanor under this chapter listed in section 71-0501 or under titles
5 through 15 inclusive and title 33 of this article and to take such
person immediately before a magistrate having jurisdiction for trial.
2. A peace officer, acting pursuant to his special duties or a police
officer shall have the same powers as environmental conservation
officers and state police under the fish and wildlife law, except the
power to search without a warrant.

Here's another response from the Environmental Police. This was from one of the bosses:

When it comes to marine fisheries enforcement the Environmental police have a bit more latitude than in other areas of law for searching. "Probable cause" is the higher standard vs." reason to believe "a lower standard for searching. Having tanks on board and being in an area where people lobster is a good "reason to believe". If you're gear was marked with your permit number that would have been even a bigger jump up the search ladder. I don't know if this is making sense - bottom line, we have the right to search in the situation you described.

From experience - we get a range of reactions from peoplet that we check. Some people are VERY put out if you ask them to inspect their catch, license etc. It's not unusual for an officer to do a quick look around. If nothing looks out of place then folks go on their way a little faster.

Wait a second - is this guy saying he is more likely to search if you properly mark your dive gear which indicates you are possibly diving for lobsters. That's BS in my book. If I were the EP I would be searching divers without the proper identifying marks as much or more. Divers that mark their gear properly typically know the law and are the least likely to break it. Kinda makes me want to erase my marks.

It must be your protective instinct. But it's the lobsters that need the most protection. I'm glad to know they are actively protected.

But I agree that sometimes the way it's done sounds pretty offensive. Without reading this thread I wouldn't have know it was sanctioned by our laws. I definately think officials must identify themselves. Isn't that common sense? I think it would be stupid for everyone to get used to unidentified people rummaging through their stuff by assuming they are officials. Nonofficials can abuse that custom so easily. What if there was a situation where they really were thieves and you sit back and let them go through your stuff?

I don't lobster but I still encounter police every once in awhile at dive sites. They are there to do a job and if I am polite and agreeable then things seems go great. They turn around.

PK:
It must be your protective instinct. But it's the lobsters that need the most protection. I'm glad to know they are actively protected.

But I agree that sometimes the way it's done sounds pretty offensive. Without reading this thread I wouldn't have know it was sanctioned by our laws. I definately think officials must identify themselves. Isn't that common sense? I think it would be stupid for everyone to get used to unidentified people rummaging through their stuff by assuming they are officials. Nonofficials can abuse that custom so easily. What if there was a situation where they really were thieves and you sit back and let them go through your stuff?

I don't lobster but I still encounter police every once in awhile at dive sites. They are there to do a job and if I am polite and agreeable then things seems go great. They turn around.

I am curious why it is Lobsters need protecting. I do dive for lobsters and regulation I agree we need; kind of like forced common sense. Abusive Law Officers are not protecting lobsters they are doing just the opposite.

warpig:
you know for a lawyer, your interpretation of massachusetts law is pretty damn poor.

again, for the laywer; massachusetts gun law states: If you are in your own home, there is no duty to retreat

what am i missing hear? explain to me what 'no duty to retreat' means.

again i apologize to the other readers... i've been reduces to a quivering flameboy. i just cant let people get away with thinking (and more importantly, lead other people to think) that they have to 'run' or 'flee' from danger in their own home.

call me w/e want, just dont call me a liar. i know my rights. obviously you dont.
Never tried to interpret Mass gun laws.... Just the common law... Statutory variations are different state by state

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom