Equalizing and feeling dizzy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to emphasize that there are other causes of vertigo or feeling dizzy than just pressure in the ears. The actual sensation of vertigo itself is an imbalance between the visual cues sent to the brain and the inner ear balance signals that are being sent to the brain. When there is a discrepancy between what the inner ear signal to the brain and what you are seeing then you will feel "dizzy" or experience vertigo.

The best example is when you are stopped in your car. If the car next to you starts to move then you may feel the experience that your car has just moved as well. After checking your brakes you realize that your car hasn't moved, but the car next to you did. Why then, did you feel like you moved? Because of the aforementioned visual cues giving you the sensation of movement. It is actually a much stronger input for balance than your inner ears.

If you experience the sensation on ascent and descent and you've already seen and ENT that verifies you have no inner ear problems I would presume your symptoms may be due in large part to losing your visual references temporarily. If possible try to keep a visual reference on a stationary object like the anchor line or even better keeping hold of the anchor line.

Could be right. I've never had any vertigo boat diving, only ascending from say 30-40' on a shore dive.

Several times a day, each day, throughout the year, equalize (pop) your ears. Of course if you have an infection etc., maybe not.

N

I had issues with vertigo on ascent early on - usually on multi-day, multi-dive/day trips. Not sure if it's tied to the number of times I was descending. As others have said a visual reference helps tremendously. In the absence of that just focus on your computer and on keeping the depth static until the moment passes.

Back
Top Bottom