Equalizing Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a relatively new diver with about 10 logged dives. Sometimes its ok, but usually I have trouble equalizing. It took me a good 5-10 minutes to get to 25 feet last dive. I just plug my nose and blow pretty gently and I'm pretty good at doing it frequently as I descent. (I can't seem to coordinate the jaw wiggle, ect.) I'm worried for when I get to deep dives, ect. What can I do to help? Also, does wearing a hood make it harder to equalize? I doubt it but I thought I'd throw it in here.

I only did my cert this past weekend. But I noticed that if i took my breath in..suezzed nose and blew,,, then took my brath out and did that every breath all the way down I had no issues equalizing at all. When I was in the pool I was having all sorts of issues. This little routine I started really helped me in the open water.

Im certainly no expert though. Just what helped me :)

Wearing a hood, especially a neoprene thick hood will cause problems with equalizing. As you decend, pull the hood open over each ear to allow water to flow in as you equalize. There are many threads out there that discuss equalizing. Just do a search. I have included a link for more information that I found on similiar threads.
Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

Good luck!
Carolyn:shark2:

Hood will def make it harder, thicker and tighter fitting ones especially. In addition to releasing some water into the hood try this: Lift the hood off your face around your ear/cheek, tilt your head and blow some of your exhaust bubbles into the hood (towards your ear). This is a trick my instructor told me and has helped me on numerous occasions. It's not usually mentioned on the books/videos.

Read about all the different equalization methods and find out the one that works for you. Sometimes it's not the same one that worked yesterday, and some days you need to use several different ones. And start on surface if you predict it's going to be difficult (chew gum, stretch neck, wiggle jaw, swallow...and blow/spit all extra yuckies out of your pipes if you can :wink: )

If you look at the physics : pressure increases by 1 atm every 10 m. Thus it gets "easier" to equalize as depth increases.

I'm no scuba instructor, but from what I've seen some people get it right quickly, some not. Just about everyone will have equalizing issues at one point. It can't be learned in a book. Practice, practice, practice... Just be careful and don't blow too hard!

The hood will make it harder to equalize if you don't let some water....so right as your head breaks the surface, pull the hood away from your face and allow some water in. Another trick that has helped immensely is to pre-pressurize my ears. As I'm gearing up, I'll plug my nose and gently blow until I feel a bit of a pop....I'll do this a couple times, and then right before I descend I'll do it again. I've found it helps a lot!

Also, the biggest pressure change will be within the first 33 feet....I find that I don't generally have to equalize much, if at all, once I've exceeded about 25-30 feet. Remember to equalize early (before you descend even) and often (I do it with about every other breath on my descent, while I'm just slightly negative).

I normally have problems equalizing a little more when i wear a hood. I normally pull my hood back on the way down to equalize that helps. It is getting easier the more i dive so good luck!

Thanks everyone. I was wearing a pretty thick neoprene hood, so I'm sure that was part of it. I appreciate all your advice! I'll try it all in the Keys next weekend! Thanks

Start the equalizing process before descending. Yes pressurize your ears before you leave the surface. Then keep doing it as you descend.

It is said to equalize early and often, but what is early. I have learned that it is at the surface. If you feel pain, you are way to deep to equalize, come back up until you can equalize.

Do not just blow continuously but use quick bursts to equalize. Find a method that works for you.

Odds are that you're waiting too long before equalizing. Read threads on equalizing and you'll see the same words repeated time and again, "early and often". Most new divers tend to get behind the curve early in their descents, and therefore have a much harder time than necessary.

Ideally you should be equalizing every foot or two at low pressure differentials where methods like swallowing or stretching your neck will do the trick. With 4-8 feet of difference, you'll have to do the Valsalva maneuver or a similar equalizing method. After about 9 feet of depth, the outside pressure will so constrict the eustachian tubes that equalizing is virtually impossible. At this much pressure differential equalizing is like trying to drink a thick shake through a collapsed straw.

If you feel pressure of pain and are trying unsucessfully to equalize, don't force the issue, instead go up close to the last depth where you were equalized, equalize, and resume a controlled descent.

Even if you perfect equalizing technique, you may still have one of those bad ear days. On those days instead of trying to equalize as fast as you descend, you'll have to descend as slow as you equalize.

Unless you're a military diver on a critical mission, no dive is worth risking an ear injury.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom