Equipment confusion!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rent first. Don't buy until you've had a chance to try different types of gear. The last thing a new OW diver needs is a computer. You'll run low on air on OW dives before you need the advantage (if it really is one) of having a computer track your dives. Tables work just fine. Get your mask, snorkel ( go cheap here- a simple j tube is best, stay away from gimmicky dry snorkels or semi dry ones), fins (basic paddle fins - cheap and work well), and boots. Then use the gear the shop rents. Ask to use different set ups. Jacket, back inflate, back plate and wing (don't buy til you try one of these). After the basic personal gear I'd advise a wet suit best for the most diving you will do. You'll learn about this in class. There are also some good books for beginning and new divers that cover stuff you should learn in the class but sadly will likely not be told.

Buy the mask, fins, boots and snorkel. For everything else ... rent until you are sure you like to scuba dive and know exactly what you want and need. One look at Craigslist will show you that too many people buy equipment too soon. And they are not selling the gear for close to what they paid for it.

I dove for many years before I bought new gear.

I started off just renting and started getting my own equipment after getting my advanced open water. I started off cheap but started buying better equipment after getting better acquainted with the different options and the kind of diving I like to do. I still have my original snorkel but I've upgraded my mask and bought a couple of fins and more wetsuit options to my first shorty. I bought a dive computer and an SMB kit since they're required for liveaboards which I gravitate to. After discovering first-hand the hazards of wearing an oversized rental BCD - I'm a small or medium but all the shop had was XL and the currents at the end of the dive made swimming back to the boat impossible - I've just purchased a BCD and a regulator as well. Only after the experience of getting dives behind me did I feel comfortable with the complexities and terminology behind these, but you may be different. Removes the uncertainty about rental gear availability as well. Having your own equipment gives you a bit more confidence with how much weight to put on but also what you can do in the water.

My next few purchases will be on upgrading my underwater camera gear (strobes and such which are a whole new learning curve for me) as well as getting spares like a second mask and dive computer.

So... to start...

Buy: Mask, snorkel, boots, fins.
Rent: Everything else.

This actually works out wonderfully. Even if we never use the snorkel for scuba, we can use it for scallop diving this summer!

Thanks again!!

I would recommend contacting the dive center to see what is included in the class price. Usually they should include gear rental for all pool sessions. for check out dives some include and some exclude so it pays to check. The shop that certified me also wanted me to have a weight belt and 6 lbs of weight.

For a mask you want something that fits well. Leaking masks are no fun on a dive. For a snorkel I recommend at least a semi dry, it is much better for snorkeling than a J-tube and not much more expensive. Nothing sucks more than getting salt water in your mouth from waves breaking over your snorkel. For fins it depends on whatever you are comfortable with.

Mail order is usually less expensive than a local dive shop (LDS). In state sources are Dive Gear Express (up in Pompano), Cave Adventurers, Divers Supply, Vintage Double Hose (not all they sell is vintage) and Zeagle Express. Out of state sources include: Leisure Pro (excellent prices), Scuba Toys, Dive Right Inn Scuba, Piranha, Beaver Divers, and Jim Lapenta.

A word of caution: Some dive shops expect you to purchase from them and get a bit upset if you don't. Especially if you purchase mail order or off eBay.

I agree with the consensus not to purchase anything until after you know diving is for you. I disagree with the crowd that you should rent to figure out what you want. I base my recommendation of the following reasons: 1) Expense - rental equipment is $25 - $40 per day, so it becomes expensive rather quickly. 2) As mentioned, rental gear is usually low-end and you have no choice unless you want to go from shop to shop renting gear. So your not going to be able to try a wide variety of gear or your going to try a wide variety of low-end gear. 3) The gear selection is not rocket science. Usually the best value is in the mid-priced items and in items that are discontinued or have a cosmetic change. For regulators I would recommend one with a balanced first and second stage. For a BC your choice is jacket, back inflate, and backplate and wing, whatever you decide make sure it fits. I would wait and purchase a computer last. You can always use a depth gauge and a timer with dive tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom