Even more pictures and some comments from CCV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Seems like half of the folks here on ScubaBoard were at CCV for the week of April 2-9. We were first timers to CCV and to Roatan and at first it seemed that we were the only first timers there. We didn't get pink tags for our bags before the trip and didn't realize we were supposed to. Wouldn't have been an issue at all except that only two of our bags made it onto the plane when we went stand-by on the earlier flight. A bit stressful but when Nora says "Go to the resort and have lunch and sit on the beach, I'll take care of it" she really means it. Loved everything about the resort with the exception of the food which we both thought was just so-so. Kirk and Dave on boat IV were awesome, Kirk quickly figured out that we were really more interested in seeing the little and cryptic things and helped us find some new and unique things and how to spot where they were likely to be found in the future. The only real kicker for the entire trip is that when you volunteer to leave your camera behind on the orientation dive you REALLY should not joke about "We'll probably find a nudibranch I've never seen before" Hopefully someone got a good shot of it that they can share because my camera was back in the room. :shakehead: At any rate even without being able to dive on arrival Saturday because we were new we still got in 24 dives and could easily have done more. Diving was great and the ability to do lots of it was as well.

Some pictures, more are available at Roatan April 2011 - philandjen's Photos I'll finish editing the ones I like and upload the other "keepers" that aren't worth editing over the next day or two.

The first seahorse Jen has ever found on her own without a divemaster pointing it out.
1253961698_B5K7Tz6-M.jpg

What I think is a whitestar cardinal but I'm not 100% on that because the eyes appear off and the color is a bit off as well
1254006870_Zcvrctv-M.jpg

Ciliated false squilla actually posing for me
1254984500_3FtXJkh-M.jpg

Did you book your trip through Roatan Charters? They are the ones who send out the "pink tags" but glad Nora was there she is magical when it comes to bags and such ;-)

We booked through Island Dreams but were told we still should have gotten the pink tags in our package. All worked out for the best in the end but it was kind of stressful to be on a diving vacation and see the baggage carousel stop without our dive gear coming out. Nora took care of everything and we knew that it was on the next flight down even before we left the airport. I guess the stress was self inflicted in a way, we had booked on the later flight because it was much cheaper but asked to be put on stand-by for the earlier one once we got to Houston. No problem getting us and two of our bags on but the other (most important one) just didn't make it onto that flight.

We booked through Island Dreams but were told we still should have gotten the pink tags in our package.... I guess the stress was self inflicted in a way, we asked to be put on stand-by for the earlier one...

If Roatan Charter is the same price, stick with them. The PINK TAGS don't really matter except for the baggage guys from the resort- it makes the bags easier to grab off the carrousel for you.

Last time I saw my bags was in Chicago, then they appeared in my room. CCV Magic.

...with the exception of the food which we both thought was just so-so...

If you didn't notice, I'll eat anything :wink: The only thing I gave a 0* rating to was the beef lasagna. It was explicable using the Honduran mindset, but for whatever reason they went through the entire recipe of making it... sans the tomato sauce. :idk: Then they served it without the grated cheese, which for some reason appeared the next morning with the Juevos Rancheros. Like I said, it made perfect sense (apparently) to the cook staff, if you look at it while speaking Honduran.

Otherwise, I lost no weight.

Kirk and Dave on boat IV were awesome, Kirk quickly figured out that we were really more interested in seeing the little and cryptic things and helped us find some new and unique things

And that is why so many others there have returned so many times. It's generically called "the diving", but it is the sum total of location, boats, scedule, and certainly the very attentive DM's.

Your pictures are superb. I envy your equal ability in taxonomy.

At any rate even without being able to dive on arrival Saturday because we were new we still got in 24 dives and could easily have done more.

So many "new CoCoNuts" ask about that issue and wail over it. Now, you know the reality of it. I got 24 dives, as well, too bad about those two rough nights that washed out the shore dive, I have no excuse for skipping the other one on Thursday. Mea culpa. But since I've been there before, I did a night dive upon arrival :rofl3: Mostly because CraRacer had been there for a day and was barking at the shoreline.

My wife (aka Herself) and Lita (of Lita's Hole), spent the entire week shore diving, logging 2 hour dives and 22fsw average depths.

Last edited:
Wow, PhilC!

Beautiful photos!

I'm totally envious!

What camera/housing/strobe(s)/lens(es) do you use?

What camera/housing/strobe(s)/lens(es) do you use?

I'm not PhilC, but I will put on my "Great Karnak" turban.

Nikon Coolpix L18.
:D

Nice pics thanks for sharing. We did our rookie trip with Dave and Kirk back in February. They we're awesome. Sounds like CCV needs to back off the italian fare. The spagehtti was the worst dish we had on our trip. Had some great fish dishes though.

Yeah, L18 (simple point-and-shoot) with an Ikelite housing and Ikelite AF35 strobe.

Phil apparently can't make up his mind whether he wants to get an advanced P&S or just risk the D300 underwater. Definitely a bit of a price jump there, as well as the risk of flooding the D300. But even in the Advanced P&S category, he keeps changing his mind what he wants to buy.

Hopefully he'll make up his mind before Bonaire in a few months (and then the L18 gets passed on to me, so that I can start learning U/W photography too).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom