Events 1st week May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I'm in the Sarasota area as of today pretty much playing it by ear. I'll be doing a beach dive at 8:30 Saturday morning at Spanish
Rocks with Dive Adventures of Bradenton. Any other events happening around here this week?

Last edited:
When I first tried this I did it a couple of times with regular scuba gear and towed the kayak behind me. Then I decided if I am towing the kayak let it carry the tank instead of me. I took 50' of oxygen hose, spliced it between my 1st and 2nd stage and added a life line to tow the kayak with. This rig is only good for about 30' of water or less but it gets me places I would otherwise not be able to dive on Long Island.

Hi richkeller,

As a diver who is getting into kayak diving this year, your method of diving intrigues me. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. First, How do you monitor tank pressure? I see from the pics your have a button gauge. Is this the only SPG you use? I'm guessing with your experience you can pretty much make estimates with your depth and time. Or does an unbalanced regulator provide enough of a clue to low tank pressure? I wonder if a transmitter on the tank would have the range to transmit to a receiver on the diver. Also how are you controlling your buoyancy at depth? My initial thought was to use a drysuit for buoyancy, but out on a kayak I will be using a wet suit due to overheating and the need to relieve myself. I suppose even in a wet suit if your weighted properly for the planned depth buoyancy is not a problem. Have you ever thought about connecting 2 tanks together?

Most of my diving in the summer is between 30 and 50 feet, primarily hunting. The freedom this method provides is something that interests me quite a bit. The thing that concerns me the most is being able to check tank pressure. I am rigged an ready but as of yet have not had the opportunity to dive from it. Your experienced guidance on this subject is most appreciated.

Paul

Sorry for the hijack. I thought others in this thread may be interested as well.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom