Info Experience report: Scubapro Aladin Sport Matrix – a great computer, but…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just filed a report on the CPSC website, thanks for the suggestion

That fungus thing is rather bizarre.

I've been using Shearwaters for the past seven years, but I do have an old Suunto mounted on a strobe arm set on "Gauge" mode, it allows me to check things when I'm taking photos instead of looking at either wrist.

I've had this Suunto (Vyper) since 2004 and never seen any fungus or growth on wrist band like what you posted. Different material? That computer has been everywhere too, mainly tropical from the Red Sea to Indonesia, Malaysia and Philippines but not Thailand.

That fungus thing is rather bizarre.

I've been using Shearwaters for the past seven years, but I do have an old Suunto mounted on a strobe arm set on "Gauge" mode, it allows me to check things when I'm taking photos instead of looking at either wrist.

I've had this Suunto (Vyper) since 2004 and never seen any fungus or growth on wrist band like what you posted. Different material? That computer has been everywhere too, mainly tropical from the Red Sea to Indonesia, Malaysia and Philippines but not Thailand.

Yes, absoletely, different material - between my wife and myself we've used / currently use the following computers over the years, for primary + backup:
Shearwater Teric, Suunto Zoop Novo, Suunto d4, Aqualung i200c, Oceanic Geo 2, Oceanic Veo 3, Cressi Leonardo and a couple more.

All these computers were used in exactly the same environments, diving pretty much everyday, and none of these ever had any issues such as fungus / rot on the strap or boot, like what we've encountered with the Scubapros...

However it's not just us, a shop we worked for in Komodo had Scubapro Aladin Ones as rental computers, and had changed the computer straps to bungee mounts for the very same reason...

It's most likely something in the material used.

The only time I've encountered something similar is with the round bungee straps used with Mares fins (Quattro + for instance). These straps also have develop this weird fungus / rot, and break.

It's happened to us personnally (I used to dive Quattros, and my wife still does, but with steel spring straps..., both of our pairs' bungees straps rotted and broke after a few months of intensive use...), but also to numerous guests we've guided over the years.

Last time was actually 2 months ago in Palau - we were warning the guest about these straps, and two days later, snap... Standard Mares straps don't have the same issue, just the round bungees straps.

Maybe it's the same kind of material, or at least with similar properties, making it prone to this kind of fungus / rot....

I doubt a C.P.S.C. Filing will do much good unless several claims start showing up, the conditions and care it’s been under is your word against 500 corporate lawyers, prodding the company my get you a great deal on a replacement though.

I doubt a C.P.S.C. Filing will do much good unless several claims start showing up, the conditions and care it’s been under is your word against 500 corporate lawyers, prodding the company my get you a great deal on a replacement though.

I'm not from the United States, nor living in the US, so there's no claim on the horizon.

My thinking is that it can maybe get the Scubapro to flag this design flaw and save others the trouble, it's probably worth the effort (same reason I'm giving feedback in this thread).

I'm not expecting much/anything from Scubapro's customer service, based on their handling of this issue, as described above.

Based on this, and other negative experiences, I've personally moved on from the Scubapro dive computer line for the time being.
Too risky...

I'm not from the United States, nor living in the US, so there's no claim on the horizon.

My thinking is that it can maybe get the Scubapro to flag this design flaw and save others the trouble, it's probably worth the effort (same reason I'm giving feedback in this thread).

I'm not expecting much/anything from Scubapro's customer service, based on their handling of this issue, as described above.
This is exactly why Shearwater is so popular, they back their product without playing games, I hope they keep it up.

This is exactly why Shearwater is so popular, they back their product without playing games, I hope they keep it up.

Yep, I totally agree - I've had one excellent experience with Shearwater customer service so far.
Rock solid, and I also hope they'll keep it that way.

Hello all,

I've had this computer since 2019. There was just one issue with it. Presure sensor was faulty, so it did not show correct depth. SB fixed that for me and so far it is working. I did only like 200 dives with it as a primary DC. My backup is its predecessor Subgear XP-3G.

Btw would anybody know, if it is possible to change minimal deco stop from 3m to 6m? (note I am not talking about safety 5m/3min stop). Some if the pictures show that in manual (deco stop at 6m). But I was not able to find it anywhere.

Thank you and have a safe dive

would anybody know, if it is possible to change minimal deco stop from 3m to 6m? (note I am not talking about safety 5m/3min stop). Some if the pictures show that in manual (deco stop at 6m). But I was not able to find it anywhere.

I don't think you can do this.

The manual shows a 6m stop because the deco stop obligation's ceiling will be, depending on the dive profile, along the classical 12m, 9m, 6m, 3m range (this still based on Haldane's original 10ft increments, even though the dive computer is on a Bühlmann algorithm).

That said, for a 3m stop (which is going to be the most common, along with the 6m stop), you would be in the deco range starting 1.5m / 5ft below the stop (page 20 in the user manual), meaning you can do your stop at 4.5m if it's too uncomfortable to do the stop at 3m (and similarly 7.5m for the 6m stop).

It applies; here is a link to the CPSC, and a search I made for dive computer recalls. There have been several:

SeaRat

This just came in - no go for the CPSC.

Your Report will not be posted on SaferProducts.gov because it does not meet the minimum requirements for publication. The product or particular concern that you describe does not fall within CPSC’s jurisdiction; it appears that this report involved products purchased and/or incidents outside the United States. You may wish to contact your local consumer safety agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom