Experience With Supplemental Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a quote from the link provided above from Scuba Gear Reports:

Bottom Line
Insurance is a tricky business, and dive insurance is no exception. There are benefits to each of these programs. If you’re already heavily vested in personal health insurance the addition of DSI’s decompression treatment plan and ambulance/evacuation plan are inexpensive add-ons. If you do a lot of dive traveling and your budget can afford it, DiveAssure offers some really impressive programs that cover just about everything you might think of in a dive accident situation and its aftermath.
However, in our book you really can’t beat DAN coverage in general and the Preferred Plan in particular for its relatively inexpensive yet pretty comprehensive per-occurrence coverage.

The important thing is to have dive insurance. Many traditional health care insurors (not all) consider scuba diving a hazardous activity so if you are injured during that activity, they do not provide coverage. The reason I have DAN is because they are known everywhere, and that means quick and comprehensive services from providers, who know they will properly compensated. Plus, I like their magazine. I am sure there are other companies out there, but DAN is just fine for me.
DivemasterDennsi

I was on a trip with someone who needed to be evacuated back to the USA for emergency treatment and DAN was responsive, professional and a real lifesaver. They were there to answer the phone at 1:00 am - will this other company do that? Primary health insurance covered a lot of the cost but DAN got the rest but the most important role they played was that they sent the plane to come and get us back to the States. I shudder to think what would have happened without them. Dive operators all over the world are familiar with them - not so with this other company so I would switch as soon as I could if I were you.

So DAN got the man back to land and now everybody is a big fan; on the other hand, if you don't have a DAN plan, you could end up sorry man...

Sorry, I lost control for a second.... Ok... I'm back to normal... :D

Thanks for sharing.

Here on the SB, it seems as if everybody swears by DAN. But back to my original question, Does anybody had any experience with the company, that I purchased dive insurance through?

I'm planning on starting my DM in the Philippines in a few weeks. I've always had travel insurance through BCAA (which is backed by One World Assist). I have never had to use insurance until a trip to Everest Base Camp a few months ago, which involved a NON-medical emergency evacuation by helicopter. We had to pay for the heli ourselves ($2k+) but it was reimbursed within 3 weeks of getting back home. The insurance was a breeze to deal with.

I contacted them just recently to find out about divers insurance, and they said we are fully covered as long as I am not doing it professionally. Professional means that over half my income comes from it (which it is not). So in that case, do I need to get DAN insurance? I have up to 10m coverage (which would be more than enough for depression, etc).

I'm all about getting 'extra' coverage and having peace of mind, so I'm thinking about the 'master' plan from DAN. Or am I just wasting money?

I was wondering the same thing. If I get trip insurance to covers all the above I was told and I also have a amex Platinum card that covers even more (up to $500,000) if I pay for the with it. Wonder why I need trip insurance, Amex free coverage, my BC/BS plan and still need something like DAN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom