F8F Bearcat Redux (Pt Loma -- 230 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When we located the Bearcat about 6 months ago, I was taking photos primarily to make an identification but was able to make a passable photogrammetry model. In fact, it helped confirm the aircraft type by verifying the length:wingspan ratio. I had always wanted to return to make a better model and I was able to do that on December 19th. We had a great dive with very good vis (although dark) and the model turned out superb. I had Drew Wilson with me and we teamed up to do more of the natural light photography while I used my video lights and took photos for the model.

The post with Drew's photos and a link to the model and screen captures is at:

Here is one of the screen captures from the model:

output5.jpg

It is a rare airplane that is almost intact which makes it a superb wreck.

I will be posting my Top 10 Dives & Projects for 2022 on 30 December. Stay tuned.

Regards,

- brett

This is way cool and thanks for sharing. It would be great to know the tail number and put the history with model you have created.

This is way cool and thanks for sharing. It would be great to know the tail number and put the history with model you have created.

I'm actually pretty sure we have a good ID, but it is not 100%. Here are the details of our current belief on the ID:

If I do get back to the site, I'll work on confirming it. But, for now, I have a ton of other projects in the queue.

Regards,

- brett

Very very clear as you zoom into the cockpit and almost see the hand grip on the stick. Nice work !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom