Fairchild PT-19 (Laguna Beach, California -- 175 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
@California Diver and I have located and identified another new (as far as we know) airplane wreck in Southern California. We were hunting for a P-51 Mustang and ended up finding a Fairchild PT-19. It took a bit of detective work and time to identify the aircraft type and then the specific airplane, but I'm pretty sure we got it. Details about the wreck, a bunch of photos, and how we ended up identifying it are all posted at the link below.

Here is a low-res photo of the inline 6 cylinder engine which was a key factor in determining the type of airplane. There are a lot more photos and higher res on the post referenced above.

pt19-11.jpg

@California Diver and I have located and identified another new (as far as we know) airplane wreck in Southern California. We were hunting for a P-51 Mustang and ended up finding a Fairchild PT-19. It took a bit of detective work and time to identify the aircraft type and then the specific airplane, but I'm pretty sure we got it. Details about the wreck, a bunch of photos, and how we ended up identifying it are all posted at the link below.

Here is a low-res photo of the inline 6 valve engine which was a key factor in determining the type of airplane. There are a lot more photos and higher res on the post referenced above.

View attachment 703751
Fascinating as usual. One note I had, when you're talking Southern California and airplanes, I am forced to speculate that there might be some connection to the legendary Dick or Burt Rutan. It seems their sister was named Nellie, but perhaps a cousin with the same lust for flight?

Fascinating as usual. One note I had, when you're talking Southern California and airplanes, I am forced to speculate that there might be some connection to the legendary Dick or Burt Rutan. It seems their sister was named Nellie, but perhaps a cousin with the same lust for flight?

Yeah, I saw that last name and thought it was interesting. I haven't had a chance to research but the possibility of a family connection to the "famous Rutan" family exists which would, indeed, make it even more interesting.

- brett

Here is a low-res photo of the inline 6 valve engine which was a key factor in determining the type of airplane. There are a lot more photos and higher res on the post referenced above.

View attachment 703751
Misread this at first as being a PT boat. Been looking for a pair of F-106s and and a F-104 in Lake Huron that went down in the 60s. 3 P-51's have been found and we located a 2 army biplane's mounted with a .30 cal. One of them has the poor pilot in it.

Cool find. Quick glance at the picture and a few things I saw right away, prop was direct coupled to the crankshaft. Not gear reduction like a V12. Also the fixation for the prop is for a wooden prop. I was not did not know of that inverted 6-cylinder (yes, 6-cylinder, not 6-valve) engine. Looks like the white metal dissolved in the ocean leaving only the crankshaft and cylinder liners behind, along with the steel valvetrain parts.

Your story brought back memories. Many decades ago my father owned a PT-26 painted in WWII military colors. It was pretty much the same airplane as the PT-19 except for having a canopy. I learned to fly in it. Decades later I logged PIC, though not solo, time in the P-51. Both fun airplanes. I hope you find your P-51.

Cool find. Quick glance at the picture and a few things I saw right away, prop was direct coupled to the crankshaft. Not gear reduction like a V12. Also the fixation for the prop is for a wooden prop. I was not did not know of that inverted 6-cylinder (yes, 6-cylinder, not 6-valve) engine. Looks like the white metal dissolved in the ocean leaving only the crankshaft and cylinder liners behind, along with the steel valvetrain parts.

My typo - yes, definitely 6 cylinder and not 6 valve. Original post is corrected. :)

- brett

Your story brought back memories. Many decades ago my father owned a PT-26 painted in WWII military colors. It was pretty much the same airplane as the PT-19 except for having a canopy. I learned to fly in it. Decades later I logged PIC, though not solo, time in the P-51. Both fun airplanes. I hope you find your P-51.

Great memories! We'll keep looking for the P-51. It would be a great find, for sure.

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom