Family Found Dead Overnight. I bought 3 more household Carbon Monoxide monitors today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
How old are yours...?! (story below)

CO sensors tend to be good for about 5 years. I'm sure there is some annual drift but they're expected to stay reasonably dependable that long, monitoring a much higher range than scuba air, and then it's better to replace with current technology than try to replace & calibrate a sensor in an appliance that old. I got a couple for my daughter's house a year or two ago even tho she didn't think their all-electric home needed one; I wanted them in my grandkids' rooms close to the attached garage! I may not have written the date on the back so when I check, I'll get the serial numbers so I can find out when they were made and mark them.

Then it finally occurred to me that their bedroom and that of our boy from Berlin is close to the fireplace! Duh, those things put out a lot of CO! I got them 2 more and a new one for my bedroom, moving one to the kitchen, throwing away an old one. Hint: used ones are sold on Ebay, but consider them worthless! I actually made that mistake once.

I went for the First Alert Plug-In With Battery Backup (CO) Carbon Monoxide Detector and this model even includes a "end of alarm life timer" reminder alto I am going to mark the purchase dates on these. I got them at the local Chinese Outlet for $26 each; Target, K-mart and many other stores carry them if local stock is low.

I doubt this family had any really as so many don't, which kills 400-500/year in the US, injuring thousands more. The dad had complained that they "were sick and nauseated which are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning," but they probably shrugged that off as seasonal illnesses. Sad loss...!
Family Found Dead Overnight; Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Suspected - KTVI

A St. Clair, Missouri family is dead and carbon monoxide poisoning may be to blame. The bodies of four family members were discovered in their home in St. Clair Missouri around 11 p.m. Thursday. The youngest victim is 3 the oldest is 29. When 27 year old Ryan Yoder did not show up for work for a few days people became concerned.

Two individuals went to Yoder's residence and when they arrived they saw Yoder's body through a window inside the home.

They called police and a forced entry was made. The bodies of three others were also found. Yoder's two children, 4 year old son Devin and 3 year old daughter Tessa as well as 29 year old Angela Sohn. All were pronounced dead at the scene.

Ryan Yoder's family was last in contact with him on Tuesday when he complained that he and Angela were sick and nauseated which are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. There was no evidence of physical injuries. An autopsy is scheduled for Friday.

Neighbors say the family moved in about three weeks ago. The Centers for Disease Control says each year more than 400 Americans die from carbon monoxide poisoning, more than 20 thousand people visit emergency rooms and another 4000 plus victims are hospitalized due to the CO poisoning.

A fund has been set up to help pay for funeral and burial services. Donations can be made to the Yoder Family at any Farmers and Merchants bank in the St. Clair, MO area.

I would also suggest having your HVAC serviced on a regular basis.

I would also suggest having your HVAC serviced on a regular basis.
Yes, thanks - I forgot to mention that. Prevention is always best: prevent & confirm. Many sources suggest annual inspections.

If cost is an issue, many fire departments in the Denver Metro area will provide them for free.

:( This happened in my good friend's town...she's a SB Member actually. She called me tonight and asked if I had CO Monitors...I don't. I'm going to buy some this week!

:( This happened in my good friend's town...she's a SB Member actually. She called me tonight and asked if I had CO Monitors...I don't. I'm going to buy some this week!

When you install the CO monitors an Smoke Detectors, write the install date on the battery cover in magic marker. I dont remember the life of CO detectors, but Smoke detectors are only good for 10 years then the whole unit needs to be replaced.

If you're in doubt of the age of one and can't remember how long you've had it, it's best to just replace it.

When you install the CO monitors an Smoke Detectors, write the install date on the battery cover in magic marker. I dont remember the life of CO detectors, but Smoke detectors are only good for 10 years then the whole unit needs to be replaced.
5 years, and the model I selected has a reminder alert, but I marked them anyway...
How old are yours...?! (story below)

CO sensors tend to be good for about 5 years. I'm sure there is some annual drift but they're expected to stay reasonably dependable that long, monitoring a much higher range than scuba air, and then it's better to replace with current technology than try to replace & calibrate a sensor in an appliance that old. I got a couple for my daughter's house a year or two ago even tho she didn't think their all-electric home needed one; I wanted them in my grandkids' rooms close to the attached garage! I may not have written the date on the back so when I check, I'll get the serial numbers so I can find out when they were made and mark them.

Then it finally occurred to me that their bedroom and that of our boy from Berlin is close to the fireplace! Duh, those things put out a lot of CO! I got them 2 more and a new one for my bedroom, moving one to the kitchen, throwing away an old one. Hint: used ones are sold on Ebay, but consider them worthless! I actually made that mistake once.

I went for the First Alert Plug-In With Battery Backup (CO) Carbon Monoxide Detector and this model even includes a "end of alarm life timer" reminder alto I am going to mark the purchase dates on these. I got them at the local Chinese Outlet for $26 each; Target, K-mart and many other stores carry them if local stock is low.

I doubt this family had any really as so many don't, which kills 400-500/year in the US, injuring thousands more. The dad had complained that they "were sick and nauseated which are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning," but they probably shrugged that off as seasonal illnesses. Sad loss...!

Wow, I had no idea that both of these things has expiration dates! Thank you!!!!

Here in Ma you cant sell your house unless they are installed per code hard wired with battery backup.

Back
Top Bottom