Famous DIVERS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess Chris and his son Chrisy achieved some fame. :(
(Can't remeber the spelling on thier last name.)

landlocked once bubbled...
I guess Chris and his son Chrisy achieved some fame. :(
(Can't remeber the spelling on thier last name.)

Rouse.

..but before we go beating up on the Rouses again, let's remember: 1) what year it was (1992), 2) how common mixed gas diving was back then (it wasn't), 3) how common deep air diving was back then (it was).

O-ring once bubbled...
..but before we go beating up on the Rouses again, let's remember: 1) what year it was (1992), 2) how common mixed gas diving was back then (it wasn't), 3) how common deep air diving was back then (it was).
The root problem was attitude. If they weren't so competitive, one, the other, or, judging by the book, both would have never gotten into the water.

Roak

They did goad each other into getting into the water...but the problem on that dive was determined to be some sort of collapse (whether it was a shelf or rubber raft is only speculation).

The collapse led to Chris coming into the U-869 to get Chrissy, which led to them getting turned around, which led to them losing their deco gasses, which led to them omitting a ton of deco. Attitude or not, this could have happened to anyone and just because they goaded each other into diving that day, IMHO, had nothing to do with it since attitudes and rough weather didn't cause the collapse (Chrissy's digging did). Granted, there are other issues with them leaving their deco gasses outside the wreck, diving deep air, etc. etc.

I agree with you though...their attitudes toward each other were a problem.

actually judging from the book (which i've read recently):

1. they were competitive on the surface but underwater they were together pretty good damn team

2. the actual accident wasn't that much of a crazy stuff compared what the other divers did later to retrieve boxes of parts from that sub (ie passing tanks through an obstruction and taking off the gear underwater to go through it (not counting banging with a hammer on a pressurized oxygen tank)

3. taking under account depth, stress and nitrogen narcosis they did pretty good damn job getting out of the sub and to the surface .. most of the divers out there would probably end up being stuck inside of it forver.

4. If they would dive on something else than air there would probably be a scare but they would get out of there in one piece (under stress, zero viz and nitrogen narcosis Chrissy started to have heavy halucynations while trapped in that sub)

oh well, this is all off topic of course and i am not in position to talk about this anyway since i am just a lowly open water diver :D

Ok lets clarify,Famous divers and diving contributers just because a holiwood actor or Fidel Castro dives doesn't make him a famous diver.
First in diving,photograpy,diving disaplines and of course inventions then we list the dates and its surprising the beings who thought they were first actualy share the honour
Thanks for the advice sofar and the Book reue.
Howard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom