Fantasy Island 5/21-5/28 Trip report Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brewone0to

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Our trip began driving from Tampa to Miami. We stayed at The RED ROOF INN across from MIA Saturday evening. They offer $3 a day parking and the free shuttle to and from the airport.

The check-in at MIA for our TACA flight was painless. The flight itself went really smooth. We arrived in Roatan and were assisted with luggage by the Fantasy Island drivers. All went great. All bags accounted for. The ride from the airport to Fantasy Island assured us that we would not rent mopeds or cars while on the island. The roads are paved but the pedestrians and the fellow motorist do not follow any safety measures to avoid being killed or killing someone else.

Upon arrival at Fantasy Island we went through the check-in process and found our room. Room 229. The room was quite large with King Size comfy bed, hardwood floors, mirrored closet doors, tastefully decorated with rattan furniture, and marble bathroom. Room was better than expected from pictures we had seen. The balcony had a beautiful clear shot view of the beach. If I had to come up with a complaint it would be the distance. we were in another zip code, I felt at times walking back to it, but from what I saw of the older rooms I'd make the walk again no problem.

Food was good. Typical buffet offerings. Friday night was the Seafood buffet. king crab and Lobster tails. It was spectacular! Don't ask how many I ate. We tipped the servers at the meals and received great service to the point we would have our table reserved for 2 without asking tipping can go along way here. We tipped extra on the last day to waiters and the housekeeper. She was wonderful she would even fold the dirty clothes.

We considered smuggling her home with us but thought we'd have issues with customs.

Did not like the coffee.Looks like tar, tastes worse than tar. Lots of folks were buying it to bring home. To each his own.

The wife had brought every bug spray on the market packed in triplicate including the famous cactus juice and we did not need to use one spray all week. There was a nice breeze all week and we had no one issue with the infamous no-seeums. Some folks had gone over to AKR to snorkle with dolphins and said they were eaten alive after exiting the bus. Guess Fantasy was the place to be on our week there.

I am the diver and my wife snorkels. Fantasy Island is a good place for this situation for those mixed households when vacations are planned . Snorkeling is awesome off the gazebo just go to the left and head towards the beach area. So many different Angels, tangs, parrots, damsels, squirrel, blennies, many different wrasse and etc. The list goes on and on and this is just snorkeling.

They are in the process of adding a huge pool next to where the smaller one is. I didn't ask as to whether it would be salt or fresh. My guess would be salt due to the prioximity of the ocean. They were pouring the concrete the day before we left.
It looks likes it will be a nice addition for those who enjoy a pool.

Now on to the diving:

I was on the boat Little Dan with Dm Nelson. The schedule was posted on the board daily. Diving was great, although it is not Cozumel before Wilma.

I had the fortunate pleasure of diving Coz pre Wilma and 2 weeks after.

This is better than Coz when i was there 2 weeks after Wilma but not (pre)Wilma.

5/22- "Iron Shore" 94/41 42 minutes

"MR BUD" 78/43 49 minutes

"Anka Place" 77/43 47 minutes

Gazebo Shore Dive Plane/Prince Albert 54/37 1 hour

5/23 Forty Foot Point 116/45 47 minutes

Too Tall Too Small 65/31 52 minutes

5/24 Valley of the Kings 95/46 45 minutes

Pirates Point 92/45 54 minutes

prince Albert/Plane 64/37 32 minutes

5/25 Connie's Dream 76/44 52 minutes

french cay bank 71/43 56 minutes

Missing Link 32/20 41 minutes NIGHT DIVE

5/26 Mary's Place 104/45 46 minutes

13 dives total. I could have had doubled that but I did want to spend some down time on vacation also, so I did.

Friday we went on the shopping tour from the resort that consisted of visiting an overpriced gift shop at a Marine Aquarium. Then on to Coxen Hole where we purchased a chest that later became my carryon. It is carved with fish, turtles, and corals and sponges. We bought this for a quarter of what they wanted for smaller ones in the resort's shop and the airport. If you see something you like buy it in Coxen's Hole when you get to West End it will be there to but the price will be doubled and there will be no bargaining on the price there. At Coxen you can bargin.Thow out a low figure they will counter and meet you somewhere's near the middle.

Don't fear walking away, they will follow with the counter offer.

West End was typical Caribbean trinkets also.

Saturday we slept in (7 am), went to breakfast and went over to the dive shop so I could copy everything into my log and get my "fantasy Island" stamps. Then hung out on the beach and did snorkeling at the gazebo, took pictures and video of what we wanted. Picked up some AO shirts in the gift shop they are $16 but they have a huge selection of some discontinued ones you don't see around in the shops stateside. Wife found a sarong to match a swimsuit she couldn't find anywhere's here. Also for you ladies she says the sarongs are "to die for" at the gift shop.

We tipped along the way at each meal and daily for housekeeping. Then handed them extra at the end with a Thank You. We received very good service and never went thirsty. If you are an unsweetened tea drinker be sure and tell the server tea "NO SUGAR" do not say un sweet you will get sweet every time.

Tipping for the dive shop was done on Saturday 160 to the DM & Captain to be split as they saw fit and 30 to the guy who doubled as tank filler and skiff driver. I bought the dive DVD but it was blank when I got home so they are suppose to be sending me another one.

Summary:

Great Vacation. Beautiful Island. Nice diving. Food is a 3 out of a 5.
Value for the money is outstanding. Cable Tv is great any channel you want Espanol or English.
Resort is clean. We were lucky with no bugs all week. Weather was wonderful.

Would I return? Not sure. Not because of the diving or the resort. We just have a long list of places we want to visit. So eventually I may very well return.

For those that come back claiming to have not seen sealife (fish), I don't know what you were looking for or not looking at. I saw 40-50 different kinds of fish, brown and yellow seahorses. Many lobsters. Schools of red Snappers. Someone had a picture of a frogfish that I did not see. The reef condition is an 8 out of a 10.

We had a great,fun filled relaxing vacation.
Now to plan the next...............thinking Akumal and diving Dos Ojos.

Will post pics on this trip soon
35mm Film Hmmmm

Nice trip report! If you don't mind me asking, how long were the flights from Miami to Roatan?

Can't wait to see the pics!

Nice job. We are thinking of going there next year. Your info. was much appreciated.

Very nice report. Looking forward to the pictures. We will be at FI for a week starting 6-10. I can hardly wait and I hope we have no bugs.

Willie

For lunch, did you eat inside the palapa or out on the sand? Out on the sand is where we gotten eaten alive up to the ankles. We started lunching inside on the concrete floor if we forgot to bring the bug spray along. Didn't want to make the trek back to the room.

Wow! You were in Roatan the 'same' week that my friends and I were. We probably saw each other, and didn't know it! LOL

We were on the 'Island Time' from Laguna Beach, Utila...the nice BIG...Wide...dive boat. I guess FI had to borrow a boat since they were so busy with divers. Henry was our DM.

Like you and your wife, the No-Seeum's didn't seem to get us. Initially, we used Deet, but it was so ....yuck and it stung my skin, that I decided to go without and I was fine. My friends used Avon's Skin So Soft, and they were fine too. That is a nice lotion, so would suggest getting that. I had no trouble eating under the Palapa.

We did the Zip Line tour, the more challenging one, and it's worth every penny. What fun! Our friends went over to dive with the dolphins$$$ at AKR. My BF and I stayed and dove off the Gazeebo. From their video, I'm glad we chose to save ourselves the money. Not only that, they missed being in our video from Mary's Place, which our video turned out fine.

If anyone is interested in my full LONG report, it can be viewed at the following link. I have also begun to upload pics of the wildlife. UW photos to follow.

http://mydivinglife.com/DiverJan/1453/

Diver_Jan:
If anyone is interested in my full LONG report, it can be viewed at the following link. I have also begun to upload pics of the wildlife. UW photos to follow. http://mydivinglife.com/DiverJan/1453/
Great report Jan, looking forward to the pictures. I will be there within a few days and can hardly wait.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom