Fantasy Island Resort early April wind/water conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

A few of us are going to the Fantasy Island resort in Roatan the first week of April. I'm getting a bit worried about the diving conditions as some people we know just got back and said the diving last week wasn't as good as usual because the trade winds had picked up. As well, they couldn't shore dive because of those conditons. Are strong winds typical this time of year, and will they die down by the first week of April? Is the viz affected by this? Just wondering whether we should book more boat dives rather than rely on doing more shore dives. I was looking forward to getting some nice photos... :06:

Oh, and if anyone has travelled from Toronto to FIBR on the Nolitours package, did you buy your dive package from the tour rep, and if you did, what options did they have for the dive package(s)?

Thanks!

Kind of a regular question, but you should expect some of the better conditions. Think about the words you used, however... typical, etc.

Best guess: should be very nice, if you want the best possible shot, look at May-June. If there is no backscatter rains caused by storms passing to the North throughout the coming Huricane season... it can be a delight all summer long, as well.

Does the viz suck after a blow or rain? More so after a rain. The man-made beach dredged up for the beach at FIBR can ruin the viz on their 1/2 of the shore dive and beyond :( To counter this they put in an aircraft cable that runs thru the murk from the FIBR Gazebo to the DC3. From there the rope strung by CCV with floats will take you to the Prince Albert Wreck.

The shore dive from FIBR has never been all that well travelled, but you can easily get them to take you out to either Newman's or CoCoView Wall and do a swim back, observing either lovely wall. they are largely free of FIBR run off. This is done on a large pram or rectangular workboat necessitating a back roll. This is the same method that they use for low-turnout "night dives".

I have never heard of anyone marketing the diving at FIBR as an ala-carte thing, it was always included in the price. I have heard that the prices from Canada were quite cheap, but maybe that's why.

FIBR has this access to a shore dive, slightly different from their across the channel neighbor CCV http://www.cocoviewresort.com/frontyard.html which can give you another view of that dive.

Get good advice on diving the South side at http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/ccv where CCV divers congregate, but are aware of channel conditions and shore diving critters- at least from the NE side of the channel.

Thanks for the info, Doc. We were hoping to go to CCV, but all their packages from Toronto were sold out a couple of months ago. The package to FIBR is really cheap, and flight is direct; cheap is good 'cause I need a new drysuit this spring... All we want is lots of diving, warm weather and edible food. Anything to beat the winter blues and life's stresses. I'm the only photographer in the group, so good viz would be nice, too. Package rates only go until mid-April, after that it gets expensive due to no direct flights available.

Understood- just get there and speak with the head of the dive ops. Tell him you want that pram drop off dive in front of the resort. Slip him a tip. Same for the boat driver. Your life will be a breeze.

You can also easily do this on any boat dive (IF they will be headed NE towards CCV Channel). Just arrange to jump in as they pass over the best spots. (The dive crew will advise you) When they head to other places sometimes they exit their base to the West and that won't do for shore diving.

FIBR is well known for it's dive crew. They will go out of their way to make things right.

I have spent maybe 52+ weeks diving Roatan, and there have been weeks that I did nothing but shore dive that channel from CCV to FIBR. Lots of brilliant little stuff... take the macro set up... that way you'll be sure to see a Whale Shark.

HELP ROATAN MAN!!! I'm going this coming weekend (mar 25, 2006) ORD TO MIA TO FIBR. what can I expect as far as quality and comfort at Fantasy Island? My dive partner says FI is as good as any of the other resorts without the crowds, is he on the money? Would you say the shore diving is worth doing?

racerbruce:
HELP ROATAN MAN!!! I'm going this coming weekend (mar 25, 2006) ORD TO MIA TO FIBR. what can I expect as far as quality and comfort at Fantasy Island? My dive partner says FI is as good as any of the other resorts without the crowds, is he on the money? Would you say the shore diving is worth doing?

What's to worry? You're going- it will be fine.

(Say- I have spoken at many many Chicago Scuba Clubs- join one, maybe we'll see each other!)

In answer to your questions...

1) Not really. FIBR has the largest capacity (by far) of any single resort. It can be absolutely downtown Satuday night on occasion.

Is it as good as... Personal subjective opinion. I have been to them all. I am sure your "dive partner" has as well, lest they wouldn't say that, would they?

2) The shore diving is great. Once again, though... have them motor you out over the Prince Albert Wreck or to eith of the two walls. You'll still have to swim back thru the murk along the aircraft cable attaching the DC3 wreck to the FIBR Gazebo, but you can skip0 that chore and save air by asking for a dive taxi out to the good stuff.

Really now... Questions like this are kind of silly. You're booked, you're packed, you're going. What are you going to do at this late minute? Cancel out?

No! Go and have a ball. Remember- go to Roatan and follow your DM closely. If they aren't showing you enough Seahorses that you get tired of looking at them, switch DM's. Roatan rewards those with perfect buoyancy and great close-up observational skills. You will see nothing on your own. Love that DiveMaster!

While you're there, take a kayak over to CoCoView. It's just across the channel and a world apart. Get out, look around, ask questions.

Do they usually only have 1 DM at the front, or do they have one at the back of the pack, too? I like to trail behind, capturing photos of the good stuff (if I hadn't done that in Coz, I wouldn't gotten the photos of the octopuses & eagle rays; no-one else did). The DMs who were leading our group in Coz were racing past all the good stuff...

1 DM at the (theoretical) front.

Your real question? Will I get lost if I don't keep up?

No. Even with minimal skills, it isn't thathard. Pay attention to the breifing.

Understand that the mooring is set in XX feet of water.

Listen to the DM... find the mooring, go to the wall, head the way he told you. At 2000 psi, slowly begin your ascent from the depth of the wall and loop back towards the boat on top of the reef.

Find the pin in just the depth that you left it. Just that far back from the top of the wall. easy Breezy. Do your safety stop, ascend.

The limited viz of Roatan viz may commonly allow you to "see" the next diver if he's 60 feet away, or you can use other clues such as bubble trails... they are quite visible at the same distance.

If they are "racers" (I doubt it), change DM's.

Octopusses and Eagle Rays? OK, fine, you got pix of them.

Now
- I suggest you find a motivated DM and stay with him. Then, you may just see the really cool stuff.

Take your macro rig and know how to work it.

Never assume... you know the saying. Afraid of getting lost, ROFLMAO!!! You are too funny!! I may not have 3000 dives, but I've been on enough dives without DMs to figure things out. Navigation skills, anyone?

I just don't like DMs that 'herd' people around without showing them anything good. With one of those types, there's no point in having one around.

I just find that on many DM-led dives you get a big 'blob' of divers glued to the DM, and I don't really like hanging around in that kind of crowd. You tend to get kicked by divers who have crappy buoyancy skills in that kind of setting. Hence the drop behind and enjoy the show attitude...

Back
Top Bottom