Farallon shark dart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you have is called a bang stick, I believe. I don't know about the legal implications, though. With sharks facing a very real risk of extinction in the not too far future, I'd say a bang stick definitely is a thing of the past. The point is that its use will kill the shark and there is hardly any excuse for that.

:footinmouth:Not the same thing and bangsticks are still readily available, might want to do a little research before spewing next time.

All that's needed when dealing with sharks is a good, sharp knife.

Not for the shark, of course, but for your buddy (aka 'chum'):D

All that's needed when dealing with sharks is a good, sharp knife.

Not for the shark, of course, but for your buddy (aka 'chum'):D

That's what I teach in my open water class...

It's not a dive knife, it's a dive tool and never used as a weapon... except, of course, in the case of a shark attack... then you cut your dive buddy and swim away very fast while the shark is busy elsewhere...

It usually gets a laugh :rofl3:

While I too rarely spearfish and do not advocate killing sharks under virtually any circumstance, I can assure you that the Shark Dart will kill a shark or just about anything it is stuck into. It is an effective weapon. There was the dagger style and one with a short pole spear arrangement. They are as safe to handle as would be a bangstick which uses 22Mag, 357Mag, 44Mag and various shot shells depending upon the version.

There is a knife available now that is similar to the Shark Dart called the WASP. It too is a very effective killing weapon.

http://www.waspknife.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
As divers, we all know what the effects of compressed gas are underwater. Our training teaches us that our lungs would burst from over-inflation if we held our breath and rose to the surface. This principle is key to the effectiveness of the WASP Injection System.

This weapon injects a freezing cold ball of compressed gas, approximately the size of a basketball, at 800psi nearly instantly. The effects of this injection will drop many of the world's largest land predators. The effects of the compressed gas not only cause over-inflation during ascent when used underwater, but also freezes all tissues and organs surrounding the point of injection on land or at sea. When used underwater, the injected gas carries the predator to the surface BEFORE blood is released into the water. Thus giving the diver added protection by diverting other potential predators to the surface.
End Quote.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even at depth the amount of CO2 volume injected is enough to ruin a shark's day. It will immediately destroy it's equilibrium and buoyancy if not causing most of the innards to come out it's mouth, as the sharks begins to rise, if it was not dead already, it soon will be. In any case, if it was attacking you, it won't be anymore. The shock of the freezing gas injection will immediately make it's two neurons decide you were not a good idea.

If you don't think these things work, you are kidding yourself.

N

I don't think anyone was disputing that they work; just whether they were really called for by most divers these days.

Let me assure you than when you are in the water, already bleeding as a result of a shark's actions, and the shark is trying it's damnedest to take a chunk out of you, it really is called for. Now that's not an everyday experience, and even if you've been through it, as I have, it is no reason to go looking for trouble since most all shark encounters will be little more than fleeting glimpses.

I don't think anyone was disputing that they work; just whether they were really called for by most divers these days.

"these days" I don't think sharks behavoir has changed "these days" from some other days.

No, most divers do not need to carry shark killing instruments with them just as most people do not need to carry guns but there are exceptions and for those exceptions these weapons are very effective. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom