farallon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Farralon looks cool but they are not very powerful. My Tekna is considerably stronger and by default therefore any of the modern X, Gavin, etc scooters will be also. They all use a much improved propeller design and motor.

Why can't you mount your mini camcorder to the scooter shell?

N

Nemrod:
Why can't you mount your mini camcorder to the scooter shell?

N

That would be too simple and logical. :eyebrow: I think taking three Farallons , banding them up with dual James Bond blondes strapped & equipped with video cameras is the way to go. Of course, you would have to special order the black finish vs. the standard OJ color. :D

X

URG i wrote my post two times and it didnt work,

anyways the reason why i cant simply mount a mini camcorder to one DPV is that im filming in HD, i still havent decided if im using a HDR-FX1 sized "camcorder" or a big HDW-900 camera, now all lights, boyancy bladders and everything else and you can see why i want a sled, with 2 DPVs i wont run out of power within 20 min.

now how would one go about building homemade DPV with the farallon style but improved engine and props?

thanks for the help guys

You need to talk to Wes. He's done HD and IMAX.

Scooters (DPVs) use electric MOTORS. Cars and airplanes have engines. A diesel electric sub uses a diesel engine on the surface but an electric motor(s) when submerged. LOL, sorry, I cannot help myself.

You can build a sled using two Teknas or two X Scooters or whatever. I know what your looking for and have never seen one in real life.

If you built a sled with four of the most powerful SeaDoos then you would have almost as much thrust as one Tekna DV3X.

N

paintsnow:
can i have his username?

I now understand why you think you need a driven platform.

Wes Skiles. If you do a google search you'll find his name and Karst Productions. I don't think he frequents any scuba or technical scuba forum. As per the HD's I saw in use they were typically handheld with free-swimming divers holding HMI lights. Wes's rig was one big mother. I saw it about 4 years ago + his custom Amphibico housing.

You could also buy a DVD copy of The Cave (very cheap on Amazon) which features Wes and his UW rigs...including the ill-fated Dive Rite/Farallon Arrow scooter. On film it exploded when it collided into cave walls!!! The DVD extra is the best part of the film because he goes into detail on how The Cave was filmed.

X

paintsnow:
are they really that bad?
they looked top of the line to me.
damn, i got my hopes up on a double mk8 setup with a sled inbetween for underwater videography and now i need to find something else

ok, well thanks a bunch guys, good thing i asked before i paid huh? :)

What you want is a Protei 5. Russian military......they bolt these to the side of the subs so operating depth is somewhere near 1000 ft. Very powerful silver batteries, supposedly will power it for HOURS of use............I'll let you know later how long they run:wink:

DepthCharge:
What you want is a Protei 5. Russian military......they bolt these to the side of the subs so operating depth is somewhere near 1000 ft. Very powerful silver batteries, supposedly will power it for HOURS of use............I'll let you know later how long they run:wink:

by the looks of it im guessing 20 min, with a camera 10

and how would i go about getting the original plans for the farallons and then using beter MOTORS and props :) when i build it myself

Back
Top Bottom