Fast ascent question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

But only the instructor is allowed by most agency standards to restrain a student from ascending. A D/M is not.
I'll keep that in mind the next time I position myself above students when I know there's a possibility of an un-intentional ascent....and I'll just wave as they go by.

Frankly the best way to prevent a runaway ascent....and to me the signs are obvious....is to be right next to the student while they perform their drill and stop the whole thing when they raise or drop more than a few feet...then amke them aware of the issue, and perform the skill again.....

Of course this is easy to do if students are overweighted and anchored to a platform

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
I'll keep that in mind the next time I position myself above students when I know there's a possibility of an un-intentional ascent....and I'll just wave as they go by.

:D :D What's the handsign for "Get me a beer ready?"

cd_in_SeaTac once bubbled...

:D :D What's the handsign for "Get me a beer ready?"
I'm not sure, but the newest one we have used lately (in light of some interesting situations) means "o.k...what I am about to say next is really really F-d up...but here's the deal"

I think we might need to adopt something for "get me a beer ready"....I like it.

position your hand as if you were holding a bottle of beer. shake the imaginary beer bottle left and right a few times. the same as if you were signaling your bartender that you are out of beer and would like another.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

Frankly the best way to prevent a runaway ascent....and to me the signs are obvious....is to be right next to the student while they perform their drill ...

You are mixing BOW with AOW. And not reading too good neither.

Thats sort of like mixing alcohol and other mixers, which seems like you must do a lot, BigT, from your profile page. Whats your signal for "get me another drink I am only half drunk yet"?

Absent the blurred vision and reading problem, what you are apparently telling Ceberon is that in your D/M course you are being taught to position yourself behind (or beside) the BOW students. And you do not do missile drills to the surface, whether to get a beer, or for any other reason. That's probably good for him to know.

Ceberon once bubbled...

I also know when people are doing training of DM's, they simulate runaway ascents, etc, and I was wondering what risk the instructors may be under if they simulate a runaway ascent and end up going up pretty fast..
Well, to appease Karl, and maybe convince him that I'm not a complete raging alcoholic, I'll answer the original question...

1 - my DM training did not consist of "run away" ascents

2 - any situation like that involves pretty quick decision making "can I hlep diver X out without creating 2 victims"

3 - most "run-away" ascents can be stopped well before they begin if you are right with the student/buddy pair and can recognize the on-set of the diver getting nervous in the OW.

Big T and Karl have it right. Good professionals, be they DM or Instructor, position themselves close enough to students to stall an ascent before it happens. Never heard that DM can't stop a rapid ascent.

As to the original question, Ceberon, if you DID practice flaring from shallow depths (<25 feet), it should be before you had any N2 ingassing, ie just at the beginning of any dive. And of course it would be potentially risky due to the chance you might hold your breathe, which would risk pulmonary barotrauma and AGE. And even then, you might hurt closed air spaces such as sinuses and middle ear if they don't equalize on the way up. Therefore, no scuba professional could endorse that exercise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom