Fatality at Jersey Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I'm really confused. Did she have a CO2 hit because she built the unit improperly, or a flood? Or did the flood and possible subsequent damage to the the O2 cells come after the incident, when the loop was out of her mouth? As for the lungs being reversed, even though the fittings are the same for O2 and diluent addition, the hose routing is completely different--how could anyone familiar with the unit possibly miss that?

My understanding is that gas was not flowing through the loop and the scrubber.

For the uninitiated, this means putting a plastic bag on your head and breathing from it (while O2 is being added by a hose with CO2 not being removed).

On descent the partial pressure of CO2 increases, and bang she was dead in 3 minutes (14 meters depth only).

The unit was incorrectly assembled and dangerously so.

This is easily preventable by proper design.

My understanding, happy to be proven wrong.

The unit was analysed by a major test lab and some of the conclusions posted earlier come from the lab. There must be a way that the user was able to assemble the unit the way she did.

She did a 5 minute pre-breathe, in accordance to industry practice and manufacturer instructions, but despite this she did not perceive anything wrong.

Second lesson to be learned and this I posted before long ago - a 5 minute pre-breathe is insufficient to detect CO2 problems - do 10 minutes minimum.

I am a risk manager and gather data and analyse facts before reaching conclusions.

There is other lessons to be learned, particularly considering the deceased is the target market of the PADI Type Rebreathers and was an OC dive instructor.

User beware.

"Some of the conclusions come from a major lab"

Which conclusions ?

What lab?

Or is this more of your "just so" stories.

"Some of the conclusions come from a major lab"

Which conclusions ?

What lab?

Or is this more of your "just so" stories.

You are basically saying I am a liar and make up stories.

I am not. Please stop.

My source is the Coroner and others have publicly posted on the net that the lab is HSL (with phone number as well: "Health and Safety Laboratory Buxton Derby SK19 9JN ring them telephone number +44 1298 218000").

I just think you cannot handle the truth.

The unit was analysed by a major test lab and some of the conclusions posted earlier come from the lab. There must be a way that the user was able to assemble the unit the way she did.

She did a 5 minute pre-breathe, in accordance to industry practice and manufacturer instructions, but despite this she did not perceive anything wrong.

Second lesson to be learned and this I posted before long ago - a 5 minute pre-breathe is insufficient to detect CO2 problems - do 10 minutes minimum.

I am a risk manager and gather data and analyse facts before reaching conclusions.

There is other lessons to be learned, particularly considering the deceased is the target market of the PADI Type Rebreathers and was an OC dive instructor.

User beware.

The Hollis PRISIM 2 is not a recreational rebreather it is a technical rebreather. The a Explorer is the Hollis Recreational rebreather.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2014 at 11:07 AM ----------

You are basically saying I am a liar and make up stories.

I am not. Please stop.

My source is the Coroner and others have publicly posted on the net that the lab is HSL (with phone number as well: "Health and Safety Laboratory Buxton Derby SK19 9JN ring them telephone number +44 1298 218000").

I just think you cannot handle the truth.

Please provide the links where you got the info.

Please state which conclusions were the labs.

If you can't- then you are probably a liar.

The Hollis PRISIM 2 is not a recreational rebreather it is a technical rebreather. The a Explorer is the Hollis Recreational rebreather.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2014 at 11:07 AM ----------

Please provide the links where you got the info.

Please state which conclusions were the labs.

If you can't- then you are probably a liar.

The Hollis Prism 2 is what it says here:

Hollis Prism2 is added to the Rebreather Register | TecRec Blog

The links I am not providing, but if your try searching Google for "Inquest verdict from Jersey Channel islands UK" you can help yourself.

You must be a former politician thinking everybody is a liar.

I might have missed it in all the responses--was the victim trained to use the Prism 2? If not, where did she get it? Hollis wouldn't have sold it to her without verification of training. My local dealer wouldn't even let me take the head home with me after it arrived, but shipped it directly to my instructor.

I might have missed it in all the responses--was the victim trained to use the Prism 2? If not, where did she get it? Hollis wouldn't have sold it to her without verification of training. My local dealer wouldn't even let me take the head home with me after it arrived, but shipped it directly to my instructor.

I read, but I have not personally verified the information, that she had just completed a rebreather course and this was her first dive after the course and was accompanied by two fellow rebreather divers.

There may be more in the BSAC Incident Report (had not time to find it, but please Google it and post link for those who have the time).

---------- Post added November 28th, 2014 at 11:56 AM ----------

"March 2014 BSAC 14/036
The information received indicates that the casualty entered
with water at a shallow site, accompanied by two other divers.
All three were using rebreathers. The casualty had recently
completed her rebreather training. Diving to a maximum depth
of 14m, the group quickly became separated in low visibility,
and all but the casualty surfaced. They realised the casualty
was missing, and conducted a search. The casualty was
located and was brought to the surface unconscious. CPR was
commenced but the emergency services declared her
deceased at the scene."

Tammy and others pointed out earlier that reversed counterlungs with all other gear arranged correctly should O2-tox you, assuming that the loop flows somewhat freely and either the computer or the diver were dumping gas into a suspect loop while descending.

If the mushrooms are in contact and cannot flex, then it seems the lower loop would be divided in two, and it might not be possible to breathe elevated ppO2.

If the airflow over a reversed loop that goes backwards through a radial scrubber gives a greatly increased WOB, as Tammy mentioned, then it seems the entire loop might be divided into two effectively separate gas regions.

As Doppler points out, a diver in a study can be surprisingly insensitive to many dangerous high-CO2 problems.

Could such a diver give a green light to a pre-dive test after breathing in and out of half of a blocked loop for a few minutes?

Last edited:
Tammy and others pointed out earlier that reversed counterlungs with all other gear arranged correctly should O2-tox you, assuming that the loop flows somewhat freely and either the computer or the diver were dumping gas into a suspect loop while descending.

If the mushrooms are in contact and cannot flex, then it seems the lower loop would be divided in two, and it might not be possible to breathe elevated ppO2.

If the airflow over a reversed loop that goes backwards through a radial scrubber gives a greatly increased WOB, as Tammy mentioned, then it seems the entire loop might be divided into two effectively separate gas regions.

As Doppler points out, a diver in a study can be surprisingly insensitive to many dangerous high-CO2 problems.

Could such a diver give a green light to a pre-dive test after breathing in and out of half of a blocked loop for a few minutes?

If a diver is breathing in and out of a single counterlung from a single rebreather hose with no one-way valve in it, the other hose being blocked, WOB would be negligible.

Maybe that is what was happening, but I am not sure.

The Hollis Prism 2 is what it says here:

Hollis Prism2 is added to the Rebreather Register | TecRec Blog

The links I am not providing, but if your try searching Google for "Inquest verdict from Jersey Channel islands UK" you can help yourself.

You must be a former politician thinking everybody is a liar.

Well I googled it-

NADA

Two news articles devoid of any of the "facts" you allege. I also added the woman's name, separately the dive site. NADA.

There is absolutely NONE of the allegations you made EXCEPT a quote you took from someone in Rebreather world blog- and that person did not cite or reference the source directly with a link to verify the information.

That discussion also questions whether it was a Prism I or Hollis Explorer. Some claim it was a Prism 2 some say no.

So WHERE exactly do your facts come from. Unless you can cite a web-page or source, it all, as usual with you... "just so stories".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom