Medical Fatality in Plura cave system in Norway

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by diving or non-diving medical injuries or conditions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogman82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
According to local news there has been a fatality in the Plura cave system in Norway. American diver confirmed dead.

Link (in Norwegian) Dykkerulykke i Pluragrotta i Rana

The diver supposedly was unconscious approx. 100 ft inside the cave and was brought out and received emergency first aid by the dive team.

Condolences to everyone involved.

Shocked.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Folks, let's be mindful of the special rules of the A&I forum. Specifically, we should not be posting the diver's real name here, until after it has appeared in the public domain. So sorry for the loss, I know a lot of people in this community knew them.

Edit 1: the name is now public, the deceased is Jared Hires of DiveRite, see post #10 in the Passings thread.

Edit 2: This thread will be reserved for discussion of the incident itself, as details come out. I'll be moving posts with just condolences to the Passings thread.

Published

4 APRIL 2024Dive Rite general manager Jared Hires died yesterday, 3April, on a dive in Plura Cave, Rana, Norway. The full details have not been released. The 33-year old father, explorer and educator was an exceptional young man and much admired and loved by the community. Our hearts and prayers go out to his parents, Lamar and Lee Ann, Jared’s wife Taylor and their two children, and the Dive Rite Team for their loss. Note that we have temporarily held the story, “Forty Years of Dive Rite (1984-2024), from the April issue so as not to distract the family in their grief.

14 March, 2024—
Dive Rite was officially established 40 years ago today! The company started manufacturing dive equipment in 1984 to address the growing demands of North Florida cave explorers and early tech pioneers. Cave diving was a new and growing sport, and early cave explorers needed equipment that wasn’t commercially available (yet!). Dive Rite’s history of innovation started with cave explorers but has grown into an international brand delivering high-quality diving gear for all types of underwater explorers, ranging from open water reefs to deep wrecks to remote sumps and more.

Beyond upset. Jared was one of the good guys. My tribute to him.

Apparently the seizure occurred after at least 30minutes of run time, at 250m from the surface, at -20m depth.

My initial assumption was equipment malfunction, O2 spikes, etc. With that new bit of information though I find it way less likely that the CCR was the culprit… but I’m equally unsatisfied with the idea of a 30yo otherwise healthy guy suddenly seizing without apparent cause.

This is such a rough case in so many ways.

Apparently the seizure occurred after at least 30minutes of run time, at 250m from the surface, at -20m depth.

My initial assumption was equipment malfunction, O2 spikes, etc. With that new bit of information though I find it way less likely that the CCR was the culprit… but I’m equally unsatisfied with the idea of a 30yo otherwise healthy guy suddenly seizing without apparent cause.

This is such a rough case in so many ways.
Has it been confirmed that he was on a rebreather?

To answer @tridacna this trip was a Choptima trip, everyone involved is a Choptima diver that is closely associated with Dive Rite. It is unlikely he wasn't on his unit.

Personally I am going to wait on the report, even if it is a medical issue I think the NSS-CDS is likely to release a report on this. It might be a few months, but I am sure we will get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom