Fdog Review: the AquaCat Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was an amazing week. We are always aprehensive getting on a boat with our scooters to what reaction we will get. (So far only one boat that was less than thrilled). When we were bringing our baggage to the boat early, Ian (Lead DM)asked what was in all the large cases. When we told him DPVs, he said "Really? Yippee!". For us it was Scooter Heaven! At the conclusion of the trip, we asked Capt. Mark if he could go out for 2 weeks so we could go to the lower Exumas also and he said he can stock the boat for up to 6 weeks. Maybe next year for 2 weeks. Anyone interested?
Janet
(Mrs. FDog)

James,

Thank you so much for the trip report. My LDS has a trip on the AC planned this year. They raved about the AC but it's great to hear from someone who is not trying to sell me something.

Thanks again!

An excellent report from a SCUBABoarder who is well travelled.

We did AC last fall with a bunch of Brits. Other than that :wink: I would agree- what a great experience.

If the seas are running heavily, it may be a catamaran, but walking about can be truly hazardous. On two prolonged occasions, I watched someone sitting in a deck chair on 03 Deck fly fully 12' and crash into a ladder. Very infrequently, you couldn't get to the table without appearing drunk. Not a deal breaker, but readers should know that this is nowhere near as stable as the former look-alike, the SWATH vessel. Hard to say if a monohull running alongside would have been any better.

The crew makes every difference and the Aqua Cat crew was phenomenal.

Water temps varied from 71 to 73 degrees during our stay.

I personally wore a 5 mil with a full 3 mil hood, and was very cold by the end of the week. I actually was wishing I'd brought a dry suit! However, I'm traditionally much colder than most everyone else.

Janet brought a 5 mil and was fine. One of the ladies that came with us, Susan, brought a 7 mil and was comfortable for the whole week.

We were on the boat during what is literally the coldest month for water temperatures; here are how the temps typically vary over the year:

MonthLoHi
Jan7275
Feb7275
Mar7377
Apr7579
May7780
Jun7981
Jul8387
Aug8387
Sept8387
Oct7982
Nov7780
Dec7578

All the best, James

Wow. Excellent report. Thank you thank you thank you!
We have not done the AquaCat but have considered it several times. We did the Nekton twice in the Bahamas and had fabulous times and since that company has gone under, we have been wishing for some other liveaboard to take its place. I think you have shown us that there is an alternative out there! It looks like AquaCat is doing everything that the Nekton did not do in order to stay in business.

One of the reasons we have considered this liveaboard is that they do the shore excursions for non-divers. Our family consists of me and husband (both dive maniacs), and our daughter (likes diving some) and her boyfriend who is afraid of the ocean. Yeah, really. This liveaboard would be a great option for the 4 of us to take a trip together, spend some time together but also allow the dive animals to dive dive dive, while the non-dive animals to do some beach excursions or snorkel together (we gotta get this guy over his fears).

robin

Most excellent trip report James. I have never wanted to do a Liveaboard (well part of me did) but reading this and seeng the photos makes me want to book the AquaCat.

Fantastic review. Thanks so much. This just changed my mind. (Temp of the water will be warmer when I go!).

I have never wanted to do a Liveaboard (well part of me did) but reading this and seeng the photos makes me want to book the AquaCat.

I never did a liveaboard until last year when we went to Cocos. After having been on one, I can see how folks get hooked on them. I loved the experience and we were on a older boat with smaller cabins. I can't imagine being on one like the AC but I'll find out in July! We are really looking forward to it. Already thinking about booking the entire Explorer boat to the Turks and Caicos for 2013. I should be able to get an excellent price for everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom