Feb 19 2017 Cozumel diving fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to see what the marine park rules have to say on this.

There are very specific limitations on the number of divers that can be "supervised" by any single "guide". Are there specifications on what qualifications that the "guide" must have? I would hope that there is something. The Cayman Watersports association does.

To be certified as a PADI divemaster, you must demonstrate proficiency in rescue course exercise #7 which has to do with rescue breaths while towing the diver to the shore or boat. It is a worst case exercise. This would imply that there is some expectation of taking responsibility in this eventuality otherwise it would not be required for the certification.

Why does having a Pony eliminate the need for a buddy? Can a pony cure cramps, a heart attack, an anxiety attack, a strong current, a BC failure?

This type of scenario is something to take into account when choosing BC lift capacity. Do you have enough lift to not only get yourself to the surface but can you also support another diver?

I am surprised to read this comment from an instructor, when as far as I know all the agencies do not recommend using your own BC to lift a distressed diver (or anything else). That's an easy way to start an uncontrolled ascent. I would think that you would know better.

Regarding all the various comments on this thread about DM responsibilities, I believe that OW courses make it clear that each diver is responsible for his/her safety, and to an extent, the safety of their buddy. I realize that the lines frequently get blurred, but it should be easy for anyone to understand that a DM leading a group of divers simply cannot function as a single diver's buddy. In my 20 or so trips to Cozumel, I have never seen a DM act in a way that I would consider negligent or risky, but I definitely have seen divers do so on many occasions. I would not want to be in the DM position in those cases.

It appears from some of the comments that this diver had a medical emergency underwater, and if that's true, it's unlikely that she would have survived even with perfect care from her buddy and/or the DM or boat crew. It is always very sad when someone dies on a dive, and my heart goes out to those who knew this diver. But it does not mean that diving is unsafe, it does not mean that someone screwed up, and it certainly does not mean there is some sort of weird conspiracy to cover up diver deaths in the interest of not losing business.

While I agree that every diver in Cozumel should carry a SMB and know how to use it, it seems doubtful that in this case it would have made any difference.

Why does having a Pony eliminate the need for a buddy? Can a pony cure cramps, a heart attack, an anxiety attack, a strong current, a BC failure?
Nope, but my experiences with instant buddies is why I got it, and I feel safer with it than an instant buddy. My expectations of a buddy seem a bit much for most.

@GrandCODiver said that she used her own gear. I would be familiar with my own gear problem and understand how to work around it, if I don't want to get a rented one.

Not necessarily, it may have occurred during that dive.

I was at a SS in Coz last year and discovered my HP hose had a crack in it.. the massive bubbles gave it away. A little freaky.. lets just say it was a long 3 minutes. But is sure gave me some first hand experience on what to look for in a compromised hose.

I never would have jumped in knowing that, and yet I never once looked at them in my predive ritual. I do now.

And I am one of those OCD ones that would never dive with subpar gear. And yet I just might have been in spite of my best efforts.

We do a practice dive out front of the resort when we go (Which causes it own issues as they say we are not allowed to dive without a DM.. we have achieved a work around over the years) Many times it has made a big difference in our preparedness for our first dive.

If it was a health related issue. I hope I am so lucky. I know I cant beat death and I cant think of too many more pleasant ways to exit.

ya I know.. I am morbid.

Over the past years we have had two heart attacks occur underwater. IN both cases the DM took the victim aboard the boat and administered cpr and O2. One lived, one died. So assuming death is NO reason to abandon anyone or life support efforts

Such emergency procedures are part of the dive briefing…and I for one do see DMs to be the life guards they are trained to be.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS My opinion in no way absolves divers of their own responsibility

I’m having difficulty understanding some of the arguments here. My understanding of this fatality is that a diver exhibited medical and maybe equipment issues, and a DM felt it important to ascend with her, but then he leaves her at five feet to return to divers who by all accounts are having no issues. I get it that everyone is responsible for himself, but there is an exception. When any human being, DM or not, sees another in distress, he should help. In this case that means getting the victim to the surface and in the hands of the boat crew. The proof is that the victim then sunk and died. In this case the DM puts the safety of a diver with apparent issues in her own hands to return to divers who also have their safety in their own hands but are not in any trouble.

DMs have to be Rescue Divers before becoming DMs.

On page 2 under “Your Role” of the PADI Divemaster manual it states, “divers expect you to have expert dive and rescue skills.” A DM is also expected to follow the Code of Practice. Number 6 of the code (on page 8) states, “Be watchful for signs of diver stress and anxiety and act quickly and appropriately when you see them.”

I hope that if I have any serious issue while diving that is not under my control there is some human, DM or not, who will give assistance as I would him. But I do hold the duty of the DM/paid guide higher. And I think PADI does also, wanting working DMs to have insurance.

It appears from some of the comments that this diver had a medical emergency underwater, and if that's true, it's unlikely that she would have survived even with perfect care from her buddy and/or the DM or boat crew.

Please rethink this statement. People survive medical emergencies, maybe less often in the water geared up, but they do. And even if it's "unlikely" , give the poor soul a chance! We have no idea what this diver's medical problem was, so we have no idea what her chances would have been if she had been brought to the surface and pulled out of the water.

Not necessarily, it may have occurred during that dive.

I was at a SS in Coz last year and discovered my HP hose had a crack in it.. the massive bubbles gave it away. A little freaky.. lets just say it was a long 3 minutes. But is sure gave me some first hand experience on what to look for in a compromised hose.

I never would have jumped in knowing that, and yet I never once looked at them in my predive ritual. I do now.

And I am one of those OCD ones that would never dive with subpar gear. And yet I just might have been in spite of my best efforts.

We do a practice dive out front of the resort when we go (Which causes it own issues as they say we are not allowed to dive without a DM.. we have achieved a work around over the years) Many times it has made a big difference in our preparedness for our first dive.

If it was a health related issue. I hope I am so lucky. I know I cant beat death and I cant think of too many more pleasant ways to exit.

ya I know.. I am morbid.

I would think your kind of problem is more serious than her. Cracked LP hose would leak out air without being connected to BCD. I would not used my gear & get a rented one or thumb the dive if that happens to me.

I think her problem sounds like a broken quick-connect fitting o-ring seal, which would leak only when you connect the LP hose onto the BCD. The BCD can still be used without the LP hose connected, by orally push Air into the mouthpiece right below the ascent button.

I do agree with the important of checkout dive in the shallow during the first dive of the trip to shake down any potential gear malfunction & retuning emergency skill after a few months of not diving.

Back
Top Bottom