Feed back or info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I. Am. SHOCKED. That. Sears. Sells. Scuba. Gear. WOW! ... but after thinking about it, I wonder how long they have been doing it. Perhaps it goes way back to the times of catalogs and mail ordering?

I also still can't get over Best Buy selling music instruments... some really nice high end stuff, too.

/hijack

With that argument there are a bunch of equipment the OP could buy that is cheaper! I like Zeagle regs over Hog. When diving warm water I like a back inflate BC over a BP/W especially if I have to wear a weight belt belt. It's nice to have pockets as well.

The BP/W works well, but it's hardly the end all in BC's unless that is what you like. There is the rub. Not everyone likes a hog harness and BP/W. Heck Netdoc is now diving some funky BC with an electronic purge and 50+ lbs of lift. Different strokes......
I did not say cheaper, I said a better value ... not at all the same thing.

When diving warm water I prefer one of my FENZYs to either and I if I need lead I put it on a belt, much easier to adjust trim by sliding the belt a bit fore or aft.

I own all of the configurations, in fact I have several of each type, including a Black Diamond ... so I speak from intimate experience, if I had to cut back to just one modern BC is would be a BP/w, with a left shoulder twist lock release.

You really didn't have to embarrass Pete that way in public.:D
There is no end all in diving. If there was... then everyone would dive the same thing.

You ask a diver which reg is best, and everyone thinks the one they have is the best. Me personally. After trying many different regs, I'll say this... you get what you pay for. High performance equipment is just that. No made in China regulator with a label on it that says brand X will outperform an Apeks, ScubaPro, Aqua Lung, or Atomic.
And just were do you think Apeks, ScubaPro, and Aqua Lung are made? If memory serves, Apeks are made in England, ScubaPro in Italy and A.L. in France. As far as I know the only made in the USA regsa are Atomic and Oceanic (who did not make your list). There are slew of "made in China regulators, with a label on it that says brand X" that perform every bit as well as similar design Apeks, ScubaPro, or Aqua Lung, though perhaps they lack the overpriced cult following created by their marketeers. As with the BCs, I own perhaps two dozen regulators including ScubaPros, Atomics, Aqua Lungs, Oceanics, Zeagles, Poseidons, Sherwoods, etc. (no Apeks) so I have no problem with your concept of thinking the one I have is the best since I have most of them. Frankly at $375 I think the OP got a great buy on the Atomic, I've never seen one under $500 ... but a flow through piston will never be my first choice.

so I just ordered my computer from sears online 399.00 for that airs atomus nice deal !! it goes for 700.00 + or - a few bucks
i think I'm getting good gear at good prices ! all I need is salt water and time!

And just were do you think Apeks, ScubaPro, and Aqua Lung are made? If memory serves, Apeks are made in England, ScubaPro in Italy and A.L. in France. As far as I know the only made in the USA regsa are Atomic and Oceanic (who did not make your list).

I wasn't suggesting that things not made in the USA are crap.

There are slew of "made in China regulators, with a label on it that says brand X" that perform every bit as well as similar design Apeks, ScubaPro, or Aqua Lung, though perhaps they lack the overpriced cult following created by their marketeers.

Really? You think that Ocean Divers Supply makes product as good as the real deal? I think there's a lot of lemmings on SB who like brand X because its cheap and the flavor of the month. Somewhat like sidemount diving right now. The flavor of the month. But I digress.

I don't believe that ODS makes the same quality regulator as Apeks or ScubaPro. According to most ANSTI testing, there is agreement there as well. Not like we can all have access to an ANSTI machine, but hey... you have to have a little faith in testing that is done over and over. Actually... one of the guys from Dive Lab (not SCUBA LAB), but Dive Lab the KMDSI training and testing facility in PCB Florida (they also work with the NEDU); last year told me (after they did some independent testing for a popular magazine) that the MK25 out-tested every other reg they tested.

As with the BCs, I own perhaps two dozen regulators including ScubaPros, Atomics, Aqua Lungs, Oceanics, Zeagles, Poseidons, Sherwoods, etc. (no Apeks) so I have no problem with your concept of thinking the one I have is the best since I have most of them. Frankly at $375 I think the OP got a great buy on the Atomic, I've never seen one under $500 ... but a flow through piston will never be my first choice.

With BC's no argument here... I'd say for BC's there's a lot of similarities. Some of the rear inflate BC's are really just BP/W without the plates. The difference of course is the quality of the stitching, materials, weight, and accessories. That really boils down to personal preference.

----

jvaliente

The Aeris Atmos is a solid computer. I've had one, and have other computers from the Oceanic/Aeris line. I think for a good price, you won't go wrong with one of these.

I wasn't aware that anyone was recommending an unbranded Ocean Divers Supply setup. As far as testing is concerned, tests of performance will always who a bias toward flow through pistons and, IMHO, operational real world experience will show a bias toward diaphragm regulators. I find that the performance difference, while demonstrable on a machine is insufficient to be detectable by a real user but the dry interior of a diaphragm regulator gives it a maintenance edge. By the time you make a flow through piston dry by adding the environmental kit you typically degrade the machine testable performance to just below that of a diaphragm regulator. So in the end it becomes a question of value and judgement and some intangibles.

Branded or unbranded ODS. What is the difference? Make the minimum order, and you too can possibly come up with the next flavor of the month, at rock bottom prices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom