Feeling embarassed about ballast / weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently use about 24lbs on each dive, but that's based on my instructor's recommendation, and wearing a 7mm wetsuit and BCD. I know I can get down with less weight, but it's better to be slightly over than slightly underweighted, no? I'm sure as I gain experience and change up my kit (and stop renting "holy" gear) I will be able to drop at least 6lbs, maybe more. I'm 6'2" and 235lbs, and in generally average shape... I think the more I work out between dives, the less weight I will need due to gaining muscle mass and losing fat.

Just my $0.02 but each rig and wetsuit (if any) configuration is different. To myself the key is do you still need air in your BC at the tailend of the dive, with a near empty tank? If so you are probably over weighted and may need to slowly shed extra weight untill you are just slightly negitive with a near empty tank and no air in your BC.

As for desent, see post #26.

The most important thing is that you are at depth, more or less horizontal with a minimum of air in your BCD. See picture below. If you are not horizontal, then you either have too much weight or it is badly distributed on your equipement.
Guy Peggy sous eau.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom