Feinstein introduces legislation to improve passenger vessel safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far as I know, the investigation is still in progress . . .

According to the article the “sweeping regulations” would; “The legislation would require small passenger vessels to have at least two escape exits, strengthen standards for fire alarm systems and create mandatory safety rules for handling and storage of phones, cameras and other electronic devices with lithium-ion batteries.”

If that’s to much to handle maybe they shouldn’t be in business?

According to the article the “sweeping regulations” would; “The legislation would require small passenger vessels to have at least two escape exits, strengthen standards for fire alarm systems and create mandatory safety rules for handling and storage of phones, cameras and other electronic devices with lithium-ion batteries.”

If that’s to much to handle maybe they shouldn’t be in business?

Maybe business owners operating vessels that complied with all standards at the time of their construction shouldn't be put out of business by the retroactive application of subsequent construction and design standards.

Maybe business owners operating vessels that complied with all standards at the time of their construction shouldn't be put out of business by the retroactive application of subsequent construction and design standards.
But, maybe they should (have to) tell their customers that they are not up-to-date?

Within reason maybe but I see nothing in the outline that would put anyone out of business.

But, maybe they should (have to) tell their customers that they are not up-to-date?

"Up-to-date" is a misleading term. Once a vessel operator has submitted his plans and negotiated the details of design, equipment, staffing, and every other aspect of operations with the Coast Guard to obtain a certificate of inspection, his vessel is by definition "up to date" for the period of the certificate as long as it is performing the service authorized by the COI and complying with the conditions set forth in it.

If you think a new rule is essential to your safety, do your own homework and sail only on vessels to whom the rule applies.

Within reason maybe but I see nothing in the outline that would put anyone out of business.

Just so. Cutting holes in decks and changing traffic patterns is cheap and easy and has no effect on a vessel's stability, watertight integrity, or fire safety.

Everything is simple when you don't know anything about it.

If you think a new rule is essential to your safety, do your own homework and sail only on vessels to whom the rule applies.
Really? Do you feel the same way about lead in paint and earthquake proof buildings and flood plains and ...etc. At some point the vendor has to be honest about his products....and you are just playing semantic games with "up-to-date," you know very well what I mean.

I don’t see anything either.
Keeping a fire watch all night and introducing some battery charging rules plus fire alarms, lights, suppression system, and a USABLE secondary emergency exit is not going to put anyone out of business. They should have had all that already. If they can’t comply with those simple rules then they shouldn't be in business anyway.
If the new legislation was no more plywood boats, only aluminum or steel then people would be going out of business.
If prices go up to cover for the retrofits then fine. It’s worth it to me to pay more money knowing my chances of not being burned alive have gone up significantly.

Really? Do you feel the same way about lead in paint and earthquake proof buildings and flood plains and ...etc. At some point the vendor has to be honest about his products....and you are just playing semantic games with "up-to-date," you know very well what I mean.

What you should know very well is that it is impossible to pass a new rule and say, "Poof! All vessels must immediately comply with this regardless of the cost or inconvenience."

All rules get phased in. Many new rules get waived for many vessels, often for the entire service life of the vessel, one COI at at time--because it is often impossible to retroactively change vessel designs. A vessel to which the Coast Guard issues a certificate of inspection does not suddenly become unsafe just because a new regulation gets passed. When the vessel's COI comes up for renewal, the Coast Guard decides whether and how recently imposed rules will be applied.

This is entirely different from lead paint, though I suppose it's somewhat akin to earthquake proof buildings. I don't know about flood plain issues. But none of these issues got solved overnight.

Back
Top Bottom