Felix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Doc,

They didn't have much choice. The Government ordered all tourists/visitors Sunday evening off the islands by Monday Noon ahead of flight/ferry cancellations. So everyone was 'evacuated' on Monday (hey... maybe they DID learn a lesson from Mitch)

Those that were able to get US flights Monday or early Tuesday went ahead & left for home. Those that were on flights for Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday, 'rode it out' & many have returned to the islands rather then continue on to the US.

I'm guessing Mel was one of those that got out of Honduras on Monday & is just wanting to see if everyone else got, stayed etc.

You gotta admit some of the news coverage with all the 'mis-pictures' made it look a lot worse then anything we really got.

I can vouch that Utila is 'officially' back open. How do I know.....Tranquilla & CoCo Loco were rocking the night away last night.

Thanks for responding and clarifying my post. This is indeed what I meant. I followed the hurricane closely after (and during) my return home and was well aware that ultimately (and thankfully) a non issue insofar as any damage was concerned. There was, however, a mandatory evacuation on the Monday since at that stage the Class 5 hurricane was still on track to make first landfall on Roatan and while a small group of us managed to get out of the Roatan airport early everyone else was still waiting for a TACA charter to get them to the mainland. The Roatan airport was obviously chaotic. Additionally there was a big question mark as to how people would get back to North America once they got to San Pedro Sula (or wherever else they managed to get a flight off the island to). I understand that Delta came through with a special flight and picked up 70 people on the Tuesday with 30 deciding to wait it out since at that point the danger seemed to have past. I was just curious to hear news of the people I had met on our long weekend in Fantasy Island.

Mel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom