Female diver found dead in the water at Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was actually there diving on sunday, wound up chatting with the surviving buddy prior to the deceased being found, I had a go pro on my head filming, so it was actually kinda creepy reading the article about, then watching the video. any idea if i should be contacting the local police or volunteering the video, (he talks about getting low on air and how she went back for a starfish she dropped, etc.)

I also think you ought to contact the police about the video.

I don't want to get too deep into the details, but can I ask - on which side of the park did this accident occur? It's hard to picture the timeline of these events because the dive area is so small. Thanks.

I was actually there diving on sunday, wound up chatting with the surviving buddy prior to the deceased being found, I had a go pro on my head filming, so it was actually kinda creepy reading the article about, then watching the video. any idea if i should be contacting the local police or volunteering the video, (he talks about getting low on air and how she went back for a starfish she dropped, etc.)

Do I understand correctly that you filmed the conversation? Did this person know you were filming his conversation with you?

Do I understand correctly that you filmed the conversation? Did this person know you were filming his conversation with you?

Doesn't matter.

"Florida's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Florida makes it a crime to intercept or record a "wire, oral, or electronic communication" in Florida, unless all parties to the communication consent. See Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03. Florida law makes an exception for in-person communications when the parties do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the conversation, such as when they are engaged in conversation in a public place where they might reasonably be overheard. If you are operating in Florida, you may record these kinds of in-person conversations without breaking the law." Florida Recording Law | Citizen Media Law Project

Not to mention he was wearing a camera on his freaking head :wink:

Would the average OW diver be proficient enough to ditch their rig in a panic? Or, even in an emergency, without panic?
Not CCR, not Tech, Not DM candidate, not instructor but OW diver.
Proficient enough? They should be since we teach how to remove and replace the scuba unit underwater during confined water training (obviously they would only need to do the "remove" bit), and we teach the controlled swimming emergency ascent, so that they should be able to get a breath from that ditched scuba unit before leaving it behind. Now whether they have the presence of mind to do so is an entirely different matter.

So he did not surface to see the buddy being pulled from the water as stated in the article. Imagine that. An article with errors.

Doesn't matter.

"Florida's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Florida makes it a crime to intercept or record a "wire, oral, or electronic communication" in Florida, unless all parties to the communication consent. See Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03. Florida law makes an exception for in-person communications when the parties do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the conversation, such as when they are engaged in conversation in a public place where they might reasonably be overheard. If you are operating in Florida, you may record these kinds of in-person conversations without breaking the law." Florida Recording Law | Citizen Media Law Project

Not to mention he was wearing a camera on his freaking head :wink:

You did not completely quote your souce "... If you are operating in Florida, you may record these kinds of in-person conversations without breaking the law. However, you should always get the consent of all parties before recording any telephone conversation and any in-person that common sense tells you is private."

A camera on the forehead does not reasonably suggest "I am recording this conversation unless you object", it reasonably says "I was just recording my dive a few minute ago, and still have the camera on me"

You did not completely quote your souce "... If you are operating in Florida, you may record these kinds of in-person conversations without breaking the law. However, you should always get the consent of all parties before recording any telephone conversation and any in-person that common sense tells you is private."

A camera on the forehead does not reasonably suggest "I am recording this conversation unless you object", it reasonably says "I was just recording my dive a few minute ago, and still have the camera on me"

You need to read the nature of the exception more carefully, as it does not require that the circumstances indicate that there is recording going on unless someone objects. It only requires that the conversation be taking place in public, in person, where the speakers have no reasonable expectation of privacy.

If your common sense tells you that two strangers talking at a public dive site, one of whom is wearing a camera in plain view on his head, falls within the category of in-person conversations that are private... then I'm quite sure I cannot help you.

Would the average OW diver be proficient enough to ditch their rig in a panic? Or, even in an emergency, without panic?
Not CCR, not Tech, Not DM candidate, not instructor but OW diver.

Ditch their rig? Probably not.

Ditch their weights? I hope so. It's a requirement for certification.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom