Fernando do Noronha 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been around in a while.
So, still haven't been back to Noronha but will be there before the end of the year. Lately I have been diving in Ilha Grande which is great but not the same as FN.
As for prices, I live in Brasil so I use my travel agent and pay in reis, for me it would be cheaper for me to dive in the Carib than Noronha but still worth it.
As for hotels, hehe, no hotels on the island. Only bed and breakfast type pousadas, this is one of the great things about the island, there is a set number of tourists on the island per day, only enough to fill up the bed and breakfast houses on the island. Also, unless you are staying at a SUPER Fancy thousands of dollar place per night they are all around the same price and same type of accomodations. I guarantee that anyone who goes to FH wont be disappointed. I have lived in Brasil for around 3 years and I am never surprised by the natural beauty of the country but however I do get disappointed with the other aspects of the country.

Corvette is too deep for me right now, but maybe one day I will try the rebreather course there and make the dive.
Still 3 major dive shops, Aguas Claras catared was probably the nicest but I dove with the Noronha Divers because was less tourist and more Brasilians.

Fernando do Noronha is paradise!

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been around in a while.
So, still haven't been back to Noronha but will be there before the end of the year. Lately I have been diving in Ilha Grande which is great but not the same as FN.
As for prices, I live in Brasil so I use my travel agent and pay in reis, for me it would be cheaper for me to dive in the Carib than Noronha but still worth it.
As for hotels, hehe, no hotels on the island. Only bed and breakfast type pousadas, this is one of the great things about the island, there is a set number of tourists on the island per day, only enough to fill up the bed and breakfast houses on the island. Also, unless you are staying at a SUPER Fancy thousands of dollar place per night they are all around the same price and same type of accomodations. I guarantee that anyone who goes to FH wont be disappointed. I have lived in Brasil for around 3 years and I am never surprised by the natural beauty of the country but however I do get disappointed with the other aspects of the country.

Corvette is too deep for me right now, but maybe one day I will try the rebreather course there and make the dive.
Still 3 major dive shops, Aguas Claras catared was probably the nicest but I dove with the Noronha Divers because was less tourist and more Brasilians.

Fernando do Noronha is paradise!

We are going to be in Rio over thanksgiving for a wedding. I was looking at going up there but the airline prices are astronomical for a few days. Is it always this high (+1000 dollars from Rio r/t)

Depending on the season, the tickets can be quite high. I remember buying a last minute ticket for just the Recife-Noronha portion and it was like $600. The Corvetta is by far my favorite wreck to date!! The pictures my buddy took of us were just so clear! Its a deep dive but no need for rebreather. My first dive there I did their led short deco version, which is still a great dive! The last time, we were doing our tech training so had a lot more bottom time to enjoy it! Oh yeah I almost forgot, check out my profile pic for a shot from the first dive!!!
AI, que saudade!!!! Noronha is amazing!

didnt get to dive the corvette, went to noronha on a package deal and only stayed for a few days, but already planning my next vacation there, will stay atleast 5 or 6 days next time!

How or where did you book your package? What was included?
Many thanks!

Alo! Fernando de Noronha was amazing - takes a few flights to get there, but it's an eco-wonderland/ hidden gem of Brasil. Definitely recommend. Here's a few shots. Enjoy all!! 1.jpg

35.jpg

38.jpg

Noronha is the top diving spot in Brazil for the most people I know. Not only great underwater, but absolutely beautiful above surface with some of the most incredible beaches.

As said, there are 3 operators: Atlantis, Noronha Divers and Aguas Claras. Actually, no big difference among them, maybe Atlantis has newer boats. I went with them and totally recomend, excellent professionals.

I can't post a link yet, but there's a small clip a friend made about the trip. In YouTube, look for Scafo Noronha and it's the first video to appear. Its code is lmBcZ6Tt_QY

The most famous spot is the Corveta Ipiranga V-17, a wreck dated of 1983, nevertheless it remains almost intact (about 0:49 on the clip above). It lays down at 55 to 62 meters (180-200 ft) under the water. Operators require Advanced and EAN Certification, besides about 55 logged dives and DAN insurance to take you there.

About regular spots, the main ones are Pedras Secas (Dry Rocks), Iuias, Caverna da Sapata, Cabeco das Cordas, Canal da Rata, Laje Dois Irmãos and Ilha do Meio.

Usually you go dive early in the morning and after 2 boat dives (no shore dives allowed in the island) you're back just before lunch, so you still have all the afternoon to enjoy the natural beauties.

When I went there (Oct'08), a pack with 10 dives for 5 days was 1000 Reais (US$ 550). Besides, for a nice Bed & Breakfast you pay around US$ 50 to 70/day for a double room. Do not expect any luxury, accomodations are simple and clean. If you wanna stay in one of the fancy "pousadas", you'll pay a LOT more. No resort-like hotels in the island.

Pedras Secas.JPG
Pedras Secas

Caverna da Sapata.JPG
Caverna da Sapata

Canal da Rata.JPG
Canal da Rata

Ilha do Meio.JPG
Ilha do Meio

Back
Top Bottom