FFM certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM:
"Task loading is nil, unless you have to ditch it" Ummmmmm, yeah, that was my point.

And it is not like a simple mask R&R, unless you normally do it with no air supply. Something goes wrong with your air supply, you've potentially lost your mask. Something goes wrong with your mask, you've potentially lost your primary air supply. The complexity of the equipment should be no more than required for the complexity of the dive.

Having used both AGA and OTS masks, I disagree with your opinion.

But, to each his own.

Chris

Well, Chris,

I have used every version of FFM that exists, with the exception of the Manta, for years, largely in conditions that most people wouldn't get into if you put a gun to their heads.

I KNOW that full face masks are easy to use, with a minimal amount of training, and are VERY safe. They are, depending upon the conditions, sometimes MUCH safer than a standard mask.

If you don't like them, fine. They are not for everybody, but please don't make up stuff about them being "hugely" dangerous, or terribly difficult to use!:wink:

As I said, to each his own. Hopefully the poster will get adequate training and an assessment of the risks involved rather then reading only the risks outlined in this post which, apparently, there are none whatsoever.

Chris

How about an inbetween opinion.

I had a couple of ocean reefs and they were fun to play with and I was a FFM instructor.

They're not my first choice because of the way I prefer to manage air sharing...donate primary and swith to a necklaced backup. They're not my first choice for technical diving for the same reasons but, additionally, toss in a whole bunch of gas switches during a dive.

The idea of comms (unltasonic) saving scores of tech divers, as suggested in certain books, is, I think, total bunk for bunch of reasons. On the other hand, having to switch masks in order to switch air sources isn't such a big deal...well it wouldn't be if they taught that stuff without having divers planted on the bottom holding onto friends while they did it. If you're one of those who can barely surive a few seconds without a mask then you might want to steer clear of an FFM until you get more comfortable.

I always figured that I would keep mine and use them for the final stages of decompression while on O2 for extended periods of time but I never used them for that so I sold them.

ChrisM:
As I said, to each his own. Hopefully the poster will get adequate training and an honest assessment of the risks involved rather then reading only the risks outlined in this post which, apparently, there are none whatsoever.

Chris

Ya know, Chris, for the first time in a long time I find I am actually infuriated by someone's answer to a post of mine, which is a real novelty given the fact that I have been a poster on this Board for some years now, and a Staff Member for a couple.

You say: "Hopefully the poster will get adequate training....", as if I suggested that training was not an issue. My responses were a direct response about the actual difficulty and exaggerated danger that you proposed as extant for full face masks in general. I did not suggest that training was not needed.

You then go on to openly suggest that my assessment of the risks involved is less than honest, since you say that you hope the poster will get: "...an honest assessment of the risks involved..."!

I see by looking at your posted dive numbers that you say you have some 1000+ dives. I, on the other hand, stopped logging dives, except for my hours on my mixed gas rebreather, at 2000+.

You state that you are an instructor, but you do not state what agency. I am a PADI instructor, but I am also an IANTD Instructor Trainer in Public Safety Diving where we dive constantly in, guess what, FULL FACE MASKS!! I have been using the bloody things in blackwater police diving for years. For you to suggest that I would not give the poster an honest answer is a baseless insult, and completely without merit given our relative experience in the use of full face masks.

Further, the original poster wanted some training in the SoCal area, so I referred him to John Hott at Ocean Technology systems. For those who do not know, John is a TRUE expert in the use of full face masks, because he is one of the folks who gets the call when either the military or a film production group needs help with comm systems and FULL FACE MASKS!! I do, in fact, qualify as an expert user and instructor on the units. John is the "go to guy" when we in the field need information and help.

So now, can we dispense with this nonsense and get back to the point of the original posters query?

(1) There is no...let me repeat...there is NO extreme (or as you put it: HUGE) rise in risk level with full face masks, especially if you get some training from a reputable source. In fact, in certain situations, such as current for instance, a full face mask is less risky than other types because the head strap, or spider, holds it on better than a standard mask.

(2) There is some increase in task loading....if you have to ditch it....but nothing that the ordinary diver cannot handle with preparation, (carriage of a back-up mask is recommended), and a little extra training. If you don't have to ditch it...there is no, nil, none, nyet...increase in risk, since most sit very comfortably on your face, are self-defogging by design, and allow you to use comm gear which ups your safety level immeasurably.

So again, enough of the personal insults, Chris.

Rob Davie

Hi,
Sorry! I got no idea, but just ask why you want to do it?:06:

Cheer
Jason:wink:
mrbill4:
OK, Sorry. maybe I should have been more specific. :) It is in fact Full Fask Mask, although some of the other acronyms you guys thought of made me laugh!

To get back on point. The Aquarium of the Pacific has some divers who use FFM. Contact them and see who does their training.

pasley:
To get back on point. The Aquarium of the Pacific has some divers who use FFM. Contact them and see who does their training.

Well, I was one of them. Training at the time (2 years ago) was done in house, on both AGA and OTS systems by the DSO. No public training is available.

I don't usually get into the personal stuff, but Rob, dude, you really need to take a chill pill. If you think I personally insulted you, you need a much thicker skin, which I would assume as a moderator you would have. Clearly I was wrong. No insult was intended. But interpret it however you wish. I've been on too many boards myself to worry about how other people interpret my posts.

On the other hand, you have gotten quite personal, judging my experiences as invalid compared to your vast wealth of knowledge. As a moderator, I expect more..... oh I don't know, moderation perhaps? For a representative of Scubaboard to denigrate the experiences and opinions of another poster is unseemly, don't you agree? Me, I am just a regular old member. And, for the record - I do not have 1000 dives nor am I an instructor, and do not hold myself out as such. Please read the profiles correctly (or correct the system's way of describing experience).

I stand by my opinion that, relative to the need in OW diving, there is a disproportionate (I'll abandon the use of the word "huge" to appease you) risk. You see, I believe that we should not introduce added complexity to the scuba rig where it is not called for by the dive in question. Instead, I think every diver should choose their gear based on the diving they do, and which is appropriate for their use, and that they are adequately trained. In other words, have a reason for using the gear you do. If there is no reason for it, don't use it. KISS (btw, I am not alone, I know at least two SAR divers who are in agreement with me, and from whom I adopted much of my diving philosophy, so it's not just my lame little PADI DM and DIR-F education fueling the opinion).

As, for example it is also my opinion that integrated octos present a disproportionate risk of a solution to a non-existent problem. That's just my opionion based upon the diving that I do, and looking at how the system will be used and what added problems will arise IN AN EMERGENCY. A lot of people disagree with me, but I don't say "well you only have 50 dives, so what do you know....." I prefer to tell people why I don't like integrated octos and let them decide. I could care less what other people (who aren't my buddy) use.

Interesting that the original poster hasn't stopped by to say why he is using it. Perhaps he was scared off. Or perhaps he sees he does not need to unnecessarily increase the risk so he can tell his buddy "look, a lobster" (and why any diver would want to communicate underwater absent a necessity is beyond me). Perhaps he is calling OTS. Whtever he is doing, I am sure we both agree that he should get adequate training should he decide FFM is the way to go.

Anyway, I am glad you concede, contrary to your original post, that there is in fact added task loading if the sh** hits the fan. IMHO, the additional task loading UNDER STRESS is the precise reason I advise against it for regular every day OW Diving. Why make a potentially life threatening situation more dangerous if comm or safety doesn't require it.

At any rate, you found me all worked up after dealing with the cheats at Dell computers, so I thought I'd just conitnue my rant into this post. I usually don't get into with people, but I was in a mood, so there you have it.

Since you've made it clear you don't respect me or my opinion, and there's no use in trying to dialogue, you are free to take the last word. I promise I won't sully this thread with my questionable experience any longer :)

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom