FIBR this Jan... Few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Tolton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be going to FIBR from jan 18-25. I see that it is unlimited shore diving. What is the situation with the tanks at the gazebo? Are they just always there? Do you have to request them to be there? What is the situation with Nitrox there? Are there analyzers available? If i wish to take a second tank with me as a stage, is this permitted? Is solo diving still permitted?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, you will need to take your tanks to the gazebo via the skiff. If you are doing 2 night dives plus a morning dive, you will take 3 tanks over there with you. If it's after hours you just leave the empty tanks at the gazebo and they pick them up in the morning.
They do have a nitrox analyzer available - they link up the enriched air tanks along the wall in front of the dive shop and the analyzer is right there. You grab a tank, analyze it, then mark your analysis on a sheet with your name on it.
As to whether you can take a second nitrox tank as a stage I dont know. Last year the so-called "unlimited" nitrox meant 3 tanks a day. Not sure if they changed that policy this year.

Last year and the year before they said no solo diving. As to whether you can make special arrangements with them for that I don't know.

Enjoy.

I'd recommend bringing your own. They have one analyzer (maybe two), with a lot of people using them. Its not the screw in kind, so you'll loose air in the process.

Yes, if you have one, it could be a good idea to bring. Will save some time standing in line. While we didnt mind doing so, our usual strategy was to make a bee line for the EAN tanks right when our boat got back to the dock and grab a new tank.

My experience may be different than that of others for a couple reasons: 1) I'm an instructor, sometimes with students, and 2) I dive with my camera and don't stay with the group very well since I often stop to take photos and try to get the perfect shot. If I am teaching, the DM's have been "hands-off" and let me keep track of my students. Generally, they like to be able to at least see everyone's bubbles so that they can keep an accurate headcount. I can't say that I ever had the DM's insist on folks staying really close together, but then most of the folks I dive with are pretty well experienced and the DM's picked up on their skill levels pretty quickly.
Our groups were usually spread out comfortably both distance and depth. The DM gave a recommended max depth but didnt micromanage anyone. It generally was a good idea to stick around the DM so as to be able to see any neat stuff such as seahorses that they may point out. They are pretty good at banging their tanks to get everyone's attention if they see something interesting.
If you're a competent diver, the DMs that I had there seemed pretty good about letting you do what you wanted so long as it was safe.

Water temps I had in late February were around 78-80.

When I was there in December the water temps were also 78 to 80 degrees. It was my wifes first ocean diving trip so I told the divemaster we would be staying up on top of the reef a couple of times till she got more comfortable and they had no problem with that. We just did our own thing and were near enough that the group just refoined us at the end of the dive. Bottom line, just communicate with the divemaster before you go if you want your own experience. It ikely won't be a problem if he is convinced you know what you are doing.
Also if you want to go out to do some shore diving it is not very difficult to hook up with someone at the resort. Check out other divers on your boat and see one you feel good about and invite them to join you for a shore dive. between the boat and the meal times it is pretty easy to make friends and someone is always looking to hop on the little boat heading out for shore diving. There are a lot of singles that head to Fantasy Island. The shore diving is terrific. I'm jealous. I won't be to Cocoview till June.

Do they use dive flags in this area for the shore dives ? Also, is boat
traffic in this area a problem or is it pretty much just the charter boats ?
They mention unlimited shore dives on their website and also list a price
per tank. It sounds like they are just keeping track of your shore dives
and tanks for your shore diving. From the sounds of it I may do mostly
shore diving and just book a few boat dives if this is possible. Either way
it sounds like a good time and a relaxing vacation.

The shore diving at FIBR is mainly one site - the Prince Albert (with walls on either side). There is one entry (the Gazebo) and it's about a 10 minute swim out to the Prince Albert. There are not multiple beach entry sites if that was what you were hoping for. The PA is somewhere you could spend a lot of time as there is lots of life, but you may get bored after a while on just one main site.
I've not seen anyone using flags there although doing so would not be a bad idea if flags were available. There boat traffic over the PA is mainly the boats coming and going from CCV and FIBR but there are occasionally some others at times. If you are out on the walls there may be some other boats our there as well.
If you purchase a dive package at FIBR the shore diving is unlimited - they don't charge extra for that. I don't know how they handle if it you don't purchase a dive package.
With their dive package you can do up to 3 boat dives a day - plus one boat night dive. Most of the boat rides are relatively short - 5-15 minutes.

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom