Fiji, November, CMAS*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maurillo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,
my work will take me to the Fiji in mid-november. Obviously, I'll take my girlfriend with me. We're both CMAS*, me with a bit more experience (40+ dives), her a bit on the "careful" side (15).
We only have about 7-10 days of free time there.

I read what I found around, and in this forum, about slightly lower visibility and choppier seas in November, so I want direct advice on questions such as:

-I'm specifically considering one of the following alternatives: Bligh water, Kadavu, the Lomaiviti group, or, as the farthest destination, Namenalala. Which one would you recommend, for that time of the year and our (her) level?
-is Bligh water (from shore) recommendable for our (her) level? And is visibility affected also out there?

Many thanks

Maurizio

Namena or Namenala was probably the best diving I did in two trips to Fiji. I also dove and loved Kandavu in November (did Namena in June). I did NOT stay on Namena which seems pretty protected by a barrier reef but some trips there were cancelled due to rough conditions getting there across open water from where I stayed in Savu Savu. Kandavu was also inside a barrier reef with many small islands so there ought to be always some good diving.

If you have the money go and stay on Namena..contact them or read tripadvisor reviews dated for November. The diving is right off the small island so no long trips once you get there.

Are the 7-10 days consecutive or a couple days at a time separated by work days?

If they are not consecutive, where will your work have you based at?

Hi
Loads of options. mainly dependent on budget and type of diving you want. No real need to book too far in advance other than for the boutique places like Namena.
Visibility. Won't vary much and is more dependent on location than time of year. Bligh waters (Vatu-i-a passage), usually good viz as deep fast moving waters. These dives might be a challenge for the more cautious diver especially after a 50min bumpy boat ride. 3 operators there. Volivoli for cheaper lively location with busy boats - can be a bit rushed when fully loaded. Wananavu for a more luxurious option more aimed at couples and families. Safari Lodge on Nananu-i-ra island. Bit laid back, but good operator - cheapest diving for sure, but that isn't always a good sign.... They don't do the long trips every day so most days local dives would be great for both of you then you could decided on vatu-i-ra dives on a day by day basis when on offer.
Kadavu - nice place but diving can be limited by weather at least on the Astrolabe reef. Loads of resorts for every budget there.
Lomaviti group, 2 choices - Naigani or Leluvia. Both have things to recommend them but diving probably better at Naigani, if less well organised at times - this is improving rapidly though. Naigani is probably my favorite based on value for money and great dives. Some times a little samey, but when they go over to Wakaya or E6 it is worth it. The latter 2 sites might be a stretch for you cautious partner, but depends on the conditions.

Again on budget, you can charter a dive sail boat from Suva and go where you want. I mention this as I just came back from 3 days on Batiki which could take you to Namena, Bligh Waters, or Kadavu.... very nice way to see and dive Fiji. Batiki sleeps up to 6 adults so if you share it with others, it is quite reasonable.

I am based in Suva and am an independent dive operator and school / club. Give me a call when you are here and we can have a coffee / beer and make a plan :)

Oh, I forgot. Weather. Well who knows. It is not any more windy in November on the whole, but you are in cyclone season. Very small chance of a blow hitting Fiji while you are here, and if it does, no one is diving anyway.

Safe trip.

Greg

Greg,
many thanks for the thorough and comprehensive package of info. We'll go through them all, and see what we can figure. Lots of the resorts we've considered so far are already fully booked for that period, though, and unfortunately I can't book my flight nor my accommodation until my client confirms the whole thing...

My work will be in Suva, and my girlfriend is considering where to pass those few first days (Suva or Rakiraki): should she decide to stay in town, we'll probably contact you for some "urban" dives!

Cheers

Maurizio

One more thing: where should we head for, for some probability of meeting manta rays, in late November??

Naigani dives Wakaya where Mantas are common if there is a larege enough group to do the 45 minute trip and there is a fuel surcharge. Matava resort on Kadavu has a dive with resident Mantas if the weather allows them to get outside of the reef. There is a place in the Yasawas with mantas as well nut I don't recall the name of that resort.

Bula Marillo,
Great to hear you are able to have work pay for you to experience Fiji. Even better you get a week to visit around the islands. cbm32 and Greg have done a great job giving you the low-down on the different areas you asked about so cheers to them. As for November it is one of my favorite times to dive around Fiji. The tradewinds slow down which actually leads to nicer ocean conditions and the water is warming back up (usually around 28 deg). You're correct about the lower visibility. That time of year up here in Rakiraki we start to see visibility around 15m closer to shore and around 21-24m out in the Vatu-I-Ra passage. We take advantage of the calmer ocean to go to the further out dive sites (approx 45min).

I hope this helps. Regardless where you choose to visit you will love Fiji and fall in love with the local staff which will make your holiday. Please let us know if you have any questions about the Bligh Water, we love to help.

Cheers,
Chris and Vicky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom