FIJI Post-Cyclone Ami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, after countless hours of research on the web (and two postings on the Board) I was ready to sign the dotted line for my Fiji trip in late April, to Wananavu and Taveuni, respectively.
Now, in the wake of Cyclone Ami, I'm ambivalent. I've voraciously consumed all the material I've found on the web on the storm itself and research on reef damage from cyclones. It doesnt' sound good. But my agent at Reef and Rainforest writes that it's blue skies and back to normal at those resorts. I'd love to hear from anyone who has any ideas as to how I could get a direct report on conditions both on land and in the drink.
Needless to say, my heart goes out to any and all in the Fiji islands who have suffered through this. As a Floridian, I know the score.

Thanks very much

peterjmaerz once bubbled...
Needless to say, my heart goes out to any and all in the Fiji islands who have suffered through this. As a Floridian, I know the score.

Thanks very much

A tropical cyclone isn't a hurricane, but a typhoon (in the Pacific) is - so don't feel sorry for them. The one in Fiji I went through a number of years ago didn't stop us from diving every day - just lots of clouds and rain showers and enough wind to keep us diving on the lee side of the island.

:dunce: But I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Do you realise that at least 11 people died in that Cyclone?!?!? And it flattened entire villages?? Maybe you were diving in Fiji in a monsoon rather than a cyclone as you claim, because if you were in a cyclone there's a great chance you'd have drowned.

For you to say "don't feel sorry for them" would indicate you are either heartless or just EXTREMELY misinformed.

I hope its the latter.

peterjmaerz,

I don't personally know how the reef situation/resort situation has been affected, especially considering the cyclone did most damage on a northern island of the Fijian Island Group. Maybe if you contact a resort on the island you were planning on going to directly (rather than your travel agent who just wants your $$$$).

If you do find out, it would be kind of you to post it to the Board so others in the same situation as you can receive some guidance.

:D Happy diving!

who have a resort on Kadavu, which was missed thankfully. A bit of wind & rain but not much else.

Of course, Reef & Rainforest would say it is sunny etc - they want your money! Also, yes, the chances are it is sunny there now! You will not get a 100% honest report from the resorts you are going to either. it's hardly in their interest to say "The reefs buggered, don't bother coming!"

I'll find out for you and let you know! :)

An Don, a typhoon IS a hurricane, as is a cyclone. It's just got a different name....

Scuba Jim once bubbled...

An Don, a typhoon IS a hurricane, as is a cyclone. It's just got a different name....

Hurricanes are cyclones with winds exceeding (as I recall) 70knots. Typhoons are also cyclones with high wind speeds, probably also about 70 knots. The point: not all cyclones are hurricanes or typhoons.

If Ami did as much destruction as stated earlier, it was probably a typhoon and named as such. I didn't intend to be insensitive to any property damage and death that occurred.

scuba_katt once bubbled...

For you to say "don't feel sorry for them" would indicate you are either heartless or just EXTREMELY misinformed.

I hope its the latter.

It was the latter. I aplogize for not digging a bit; I would have realized that 200 km per hours winds and very heavy rains spelled disaster.

Don

Thanks Scuba- Katt and -Jim.

I'm going to try to make direct contact over the weekend. I'll let you know what I come up with, if anything. If anyone else comes up with any unbiased info, I'd love to hear it.

Best to all,

Hello All,

Just spoke to "Josephine" at the Garden Island Resort by telephone (one good sign!). Naturally, she was very upbeat, although she did acknowledge lots of defoliation and destruction of the flora on the island. I'd already heard from Reef and Rainforest that the resort had sustained some water damage. But, when questioned about the effect of the storm on the reef, Josephine said there were divers out "right after the storm" and, according to her, they reported no serious damage to the reefs.
I'm not so naive that I take this as gospel, but it's another grain of evidence that things may not be as bad as first thought on Taveuni. *I'm still most anxious for first-hand accounts by any folks who've dived the Somosomo Strait post-Ami.* In the meantime, here's a site that has the most detailed description I've seen yet of Taveuni specifically, though it's not much. You'll have to register to view the article.

http://asia.scmp.com/asianews/ZZZWDQAIWAD.html

Good diving to all and best wishes again to all those in Fiji.

Hi, gang!

I had a conversation similar to the one Peter reported, but mine was with Charles on Matangi. There was some damage to the resort, but not extensive. No one was hurt, thank goodness.

The reef issues are still in question, but we should hear about them shortly.

Scorpionfish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom