Fill your own tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gilligPhant0m

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone fill their own tanks?
What kind of compressor are you using?

I was looking into this, and found that the cost of a compressor system (like the max-air 35) is extremely cost prohibitive! (roughly $3000.00 for a unit).

Is the compressor soo specialized, that it costs that much???

I can buy a used gas-driven pressure washer system for roughly $500, that has a 4000psi output compressor pump.

I can adapt an air filter to output, and purchase the air filter cartridges and adapter hoses to fill tanks, for roughly $300...

I also found, that I can purchase an air purity test kit, to test the captured air, so I know if there is any contamination...

Is this feasible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

gilligPhant0m once bubbled...
What kind of compressor are you using?

I was looking into this, and found that the cost of a compressor system (like the max-air 35) is extremely cost prohibitive! (roughly $3000.00 for a unit). Thanks
I use a Bauer Oceanus ($4350, new).

The cost isn't necessarily prohibitive if you are mixing Nitrox and dive a lot (or your wife dives, or you have friends that would buy from you).

Like UP, I use a RIX.

Question 2, answer is no as the unit does not put out that pressure of air.

Dave D

gilligPhant0m once bubbled...

I can buy a used gas-driven pressure washer system for roughly $500, that has a 4000psi output compressor pump.

several reasons that wont work ,1 as has already been mentioned boosting water to high pressure is much easier than pumping air.2 most pressure washer pumps I am familiar with are cooled by the water going through the pump running them without water going through will make the seals melt out immediately.

Like Stone, I put in my own fillstation.

I decided on an Alkin W31 instead of the Bauer or MaxAir. Reasons were:

1. Cost. The alkin is a bit slower (3.5 cfm FAD .vs. 4.3) BUT it is much less expensive ($2500 .vs. $4350). With the savings I can (and did) buy a Hyperfilter stack; I now have OCA coming out of my unit. In fact, I could build an autodrain, pressure switch and magstarter and STILL come in right around what the Oceanus would cost without any of those "extras" on it.

2. It can be started off a boat's 8kw genset. The Oceanus is questionable at best; I would not expect that I could start it. Since I may want to take the unit with me on board, this was a big deal for me. (BTW the Oceanus is a VERY compact package - I give Bauer a lot of credit for their design; I've seen Stone's setup and was impressed with how small it really is.)

3. Low RPM. A big deal from my perspective. The smaller Coltri-block and Bauer block units (the Max-Air 35 and the Bauer Junior specifically) are high-RPM units. This means HEAT and heat is BAD for service life. This is particularly true if you want to fill a bunch of tanks in a row.

If you dive Nitrox the numbers are compelling if you're doing 100 or so dives a year, and have a buddy who is diving with you.

My total cost of operation is under $2.50/bottle, assuming an EMPTY tank to start and partial-pressure mixing (that is, I'm intentionally throwing away some of my O2 supply bottle, since I have to return it with some pressure in it)

If you pay $10/fill for your Nitrox, and dive 200 bottles a year, you have $1500/year in recovered hardware costs. In a bit more than two years you've paid for the equipment. But you will only have a couple hundred hours on the compressor - it will be barely broken in, as first "scheduled service" on most of these units is at either 500 or 1000 hours, and that is only an internal valve inspection.

If you haven't already gotten a copy of it, I'd strongly recommend Vance Harlow's "Oxygen Hacker's Companion" book ($35 at http://www.airspeedpress.com/newoxyhacker.html).

He does a great job of answering your exact questions and offering a number of practical options such as "partial" PP mixing where you do the pure O2 part and let a dive shop filler up with "hydrocarbon free" air.

~<//><

gilligPhant0m
I happen to use a Max-Air 35 electric I made my own Hyper filters out of aircraft hydraulic accumulators and it passes Lawrence Factors OCA test kit with flying colors. I also made my own Nitrox Stick Via instructions from the Oxyhacker Guide....... I used to have to drive some 50 miles to get my air or nitrox fills ..... Now it's great I can make any custom mix for a dive on a moments notice....... Although it is slow compared to a LDS but I would rather get it right the first time...... and I am in no hurry.
I also tumble and O2 clean my own stuff too, But I am use to working on O2 systems in aircrft.......so that part of it is just a lateral shift for me.
Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom