Film Shooters (B&W shooters specifically) some advice and help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

many of my dolphin images was developed using Ilford Ilfotec DD. If your going for the wow effect definately checkout DR5, www.dr5.com For my 2 1/4 stuff I use tmax developer which works quite well.

Ed

Wow people really hate those chromagenic films! Not me! Also my ideas are based on land photography. I'm strictly colour for u/w.

I've had great results cpaturing action footage using Kodak CN400 and Ilford XP2. Fine grain (that in my opinion beats TMax 400) BUT these are not punchy/contrasty films so I am guessing wouldn't do so well for u/w photography.

Ilford Delta's have god aweful grain IMO.

Kodak 3200 (?) has given me some decent results with night time shots using only available lighting. But it is grainy - but then if you are shooting at night without a flash what do you expect?

hey guys thanks for the advice. you all have been a great help, i think i will hold off on my grand test as i think i need more time with the basics before expanding my horizons. so the first thing im gonna do is stick with my tmax for now and run about a dozen rolls through D76 before i try anything else. but also im gonna get a propak of Tri-x and try it based off the reccomendations here and on photo.net ( i know that there will be some changes in my negs because of hte switch in developers like a little more grain, but will gain some shadow detail and a little acutance). then also i wont try the push testing yet as i would rather be able to watch what a push is doing rather then having to wait 2+ months to see the results (football season will give me that). so instead of buy that whole list i have cut it down to just some more tmax 400 and 3200 and Ilford Xp2 super(for some feed back on shots), and pick some rolls of tri x and both ilfords and fujis high speeds(4 rolls of each 2 at 1600 and 2 at 3200 which will be the only testing i will do this summer) to have fun with.

link to my thread on photo.net where i have gotten some of the same advice.

but if you have any more advice feel free to post it and in the fall i will post some of my images on my website that im building now. but also a side note, i already have gotten a exibition request from the general manager from the restraunt that i work for in that he wants to display my final project for the summer (and potential for sales of copies)

tooth

Back
Top Bottom