Fin weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conallmeehan44

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if the weight of your fins can allow you to carry less weight on your wing. For context, I dive drysuit(membrane) with Fourth Element artic undergarments on a BPW setup. Currently I carry around 10kg when using my soft Aqualung fins. I’m looking to get a pair of ScubaPro jet fins. At my size they would weigh somewhere between 3-4kg. Does this mean I can drop weights in the rest of my setup?

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if the weight of your fins can allow you to carry less weight on your wing. For context, I dive drysuit(membrane) with Fourth Element artic undergarments on a BPW setup. Currently I carry around 10kg when using my soft Aqualung fins. I’m looking to get a pair of ScubaPro jet fins. At my size they would weigh somewhere between 3-4kg. Does this mean I can drop weights in the rest of my setup?
Yes. But not as much as you are hoping.

What matters is how much negative buoyancy the fins contribute. In other words, their weight in the water rather than their weight on land. This comes out to about 500 grams for the pair. You then have to add or subtract whatever your current fins contribute. If your current fins sink, then the difference will be less, if they float it will be greater.

Yes. But not as much as you are hoping.

What matters is how much negative buoyancy the fins contribute. In other words, their weight in the water rather than their weight on land. This comes out to about 500 grams for the pair. You then have to add or subtract whatever your current fins contribute. If your current fins sink, then the difference will be less, if they float it will be greater.
Appreciate the response

See the fins as more a way of fine tuning Trim rather than adjusting weight needed in water, Jet fins are great if you need something heavy at the feet, if you want to be neutral then Apeks RK3, etc,

(If only your average dive shop would explain this phenomenon to the buying public rather than “buy these new life changers from **** as they’re the latest and greatest)

Back
Top Bottom