Finally got to the Bass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This past weekend was perfect for diving the USS-Bass. We had calm seas, calm winds, and great vis underwater. The only less than perfect condition was the surface current. It was actually smokin' Sat and Sun morning. This is not unusual for this area but it made finding the mooring buoy tricky. 24 miles from mainland RI, 8 miles from Block Island, RI. The buoy was pulled underwater by the current. (GPS is just an amazing thing).

This was the first time I spotted a tropical fish in NE as well. I know people see them all the time in this area but this was a first for me. We were greeted by a good size Trigger fish at about 5' below the surface right at the mooring. There was tons of growth on the line all the way down.

We reached the top of the conning tower at 125'. It was 155' in the sand. Vis was about 30' which was spectacular. We began heading to the stern. The size of this wreck is just unbelievable (340' long) and the largest wreck I have ever been on. I usually dive the U853 when in this area. I have a new favorite dive site. It's hard to describe the site other than massive. There was also more fish laying on the bottom than I have ever seen anywhere - including the Caribbean. I still have to id these fish actually. They were about 1 foot long with two white tentacles on the lower side of their mouth. For me to touch the bottom these fish literally needed to clear out of the way. For my buddies who dive around here you would need to see it to believe it. You could not see the sand of the bottom because there were so many fish.

We were breathing 24% Nitrox for back gas. (I always keep my pp02's at 1.4 or less). We had planned on a max depth of 160' based on all the pre-dive intel I had received. I should say - my fresh water depth gauge read 159' and my salt water computer read 155'. I suspect the divers who read 160' were using Uwatec's at the time :wink: We were diving at just about peak high tide. We reached the stern to see a massive prop and rudder. Props are such a dramatic site on a large wreck. Back to the conning tower and a quick sweep around and we had reached our planned time of 20 minutes. Back up the tower/line and on to stop #1. Water temp at depth was 48 degrees. I read 62 degree water temp for my last few deco stops. The current closer to the surface was ripping as I mentioned. We were both doing stops like flags on a flag pole.

Dive 2 the following morning (yesterday) using air for everything. (The only dive shop on Block Island has just air for fills). We were spending the weekend on the island so space/weight is a premium such that I did not want to double up on tanks. We made planned this to be a short dive but it was made even shorter due to my buddy's regulator free flow unfortunately. We had 10 minutes at depth before we needed to head to stop 1. It was still great to see this wreck again. Exact same conditions as Saturday morning except the current was even a little faster on the surface. We headed toward the bow and literally 20' in front of the conning tower we appeared to be at the "break". (Ship is broken in two). The uw map of the wreck shows a much greater distance to this break. I was to understand there is sometimes a rope connecting the two sections. I went to the sand in front of this break to make sure. If anyone can comment I would appreciate it.

Back on the surface - two great dives on the Bass. This is definitely my new favorite dive site and I look forward to exploring more of her.

--Matt

Its two years since I did the Bass. and only one dive unfortunately. Last week we were in that area but the organizer of the trip and one of the other divers are little leery of the deep long dives so we only got to do the U boat.
I would have liked to do the Bass also, maybe next year.
The rope you mention from what I have heard has been gone for a while.
For some reason the water temps out east seem to be warmer than here.
We went due south of Jones Inlet (Long Island) and in 125 ft of water the bottm temp was just 41 deg. I know last week out by Block the temps were much warmer like you mentioned.

Good to hear you had nice time. Hopefully we will all get to do the Bass again in near future.

DEEPLOU:
Its two years since I did the Bass. and only one dive unfortunately. Last week we were in that area but the organizer of the trip and one of the other divers are little leery of the deep long dives so we only got to do the U boat.
I would have liked to do the Bass also, maybe next year.
The rope you mention from what I have heard has been gone for a while.
For some reason the water temps out east seem to be warmer than here.
We went due south of Jones Inlet (Long Island) and in 125 ft of water the bottm temp was just 41 deg. I know last week out by Block the temps were much warmer like you mentioned.

Good to hear you had nice time. Hopefully we will all get to do the Bass again in near future.

The dive shop on BI is open from 9-5. If we were to have waited 4 hours after dive 1 on the Bass then hit the U853 we would not have had time to get to the shop before they closed. We wanted to make sure we had gas for dive 2 on the Bass as a priority.

Do you recall the distance from the conning tower to "the break"? Did you do that route on your dive or did you go to the stern?

--Matt

matt_unique:
The dive shop on BI is open from 9-5. If we were to have waited 4 hours after dive 1 on the Bass then hit the U853 we would not have had time to get to the shop before they closed. We wanted to make sure we had gas for dive 2 on the Bass as a priority.

Do you recall the distance from the conning tower to "the break"? Did you do that route on your dive or did you go to the stern?

--Matt

Why 4 hour wait?
That shop seemed to be very accomodating. When we were out there the boat capt had called them and for Sat afternoon they were willing to come down and pick up the tanks (and they were at a wedding). We didn't bother them Sat night, but they were at the dock at 7am picked up load of tanks and brought them back short while later.

DEEPLOU:
Why 4 hour wait?
That shop seemed to be very accomodating. When we were out there the boat capt had called them and for Sat afternoon they were willing to come down and pick up the tanks (and they were at a wedding). We didn't bother them Sat night, but they were at the dock at 7am picked up load of tanks and brought them back short while later.

I stick to a minimum 4 hr surface interval after a deco dive.

That is interesting about the dive shop. I never asked for fills outside of their regular business hours. When I have called they said 10-5 for hours. That is great they were accomodating. Kyra and her husband run/own the shop. She does most of the work I'm to understand. She has always been very pleasant and helpful when I was in the store.

--Matt

I think if I indicated I wanted to do a 4 hour surface interval on any of the boats I have been on they would be sure to let me know I was only doing one dive.

4 hours seems extremely excessive. I use "D Plan" and even with a 90 min surface interval the profile for the second dive is not outrageous.

DEEPLOU:
I think if I indicated I wanted to do a 4 hour surface interval on any of the boats I have been on they would be sure to let me know I was only doing one dive.

4 hours seems extremely excessive. I use "D Plan" and even with a 90 min surface interval the profile for the second dive is not outrageous.

One of the many reasons I love owning a boat. I dive on my schedule with good buddies. It's not so fun during the winter making payments :wink:

4 hours is more of an arbitrary number I like to stick to for some good off gassing after a deco dive. We relax on the boat, have a bit to eat, drink some water, head to the next site, etc. Time flys on a boat.

I'm still researching the accuracy of the pre-dive intel I had received indicating it was about a 130' swim from the conning tower forward to the break. I understand once you are at the break, it's then about 50' of open sand before you reach the bow section of the wreck. I found this map that indicated the conning tower was right in the middle of the stern section of the wreck. I found this to be totally incorrect. The break is 20' forward of the conning tower.

--Matt

matt_unique:
One of the many reasons I love owning a boat. I dive on my schedule with good buddies. It's not so fun during the winter making payments :wink:

4 hours is more of an arbitrary number I like to stick to for some good off gassing after a deco dive. We relax on the boat, have a bit to eat, drink some water, head to the next site, etc. Time flys on a boat.

I'm still researching the accuracy of the pre-dive intel I had received indicating it was about a 130' swim from the conning tower forward to the break. I understand once you are at the break, it's then about 50' of open sand before you reach the bow section of the wreck. I found this map that indicated the conning tower was right in the middle of the stern section of the wreck. I found this to be totally incorrect. The break is 20' forward of the conning tower.

--Matt

As I recall the break is at least 20 ft foward of conning tower, possably more.
I will have to wait till next year to get first hand knowledge, doubt I will get out that way again this yr.

DEEPLOU:
As I recall the break is at least 20 ft foward of conning tower, possably more.
I will have to wait till next year to get first hand knowledge, doubt I will get out that way again this yr.

The uw map I had was incorrect. The break is indeed about 20' forward of the conning tower. This was my experience last weekend but I wanted to make sure there was not another break that happened recently or such.

This video is decent - not great - but decent. I guess much of the penetration in the Bass is pretty tough/tight. I'm not much of a fan of hard ow environments anyway.

I plan to hit her a few more times this year. I look forward to exploring the bow.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom