finally I did the poling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STOGEY:
The next time I do the poling, I plan to have one of the reel lines that you can use as a guide. I'll attatch it to something near the bow line and go from there.
Running a line from the mooring is always a good idea. Even if the vis is good when your dive starts thats no garauntee that it's going to stay that way. Plus, if you start out at the downline and run a line, you are assured that when you get back to what is now the upline, you are on the right one. There are often multilple moorings on the Poling. Best case scenario is you end up looking silly coming up under the wrong boat. What would you do if you got to 60 FSW on a ghost line and it ended?

I would strongly suggest you get a reel and a bag and practice using them. Practice in shallow water. Practice a lot. It sounds easy; reach back, grab the bag, pull it free, attach your reel, make DAMNED GOOD AND SURE that you have the brake free, inflate the bag (which reg are you going to use, your primary or your backup?) and make sure nothing fouls the reel. What are you going to do then, tie off the line, cut the line at the reel and follow the line up to the surface or do a free ascent, holding onto the reel and taking in slack as you go?

Like I said, it sounds easy. It isn't. My buddy JohnL described a friend of his who messed up a step while practicing deploying a bag from 30 feet as "shooting to the surface like a Polaris Missile." Trying to do it for the first time at 90 fsw, lost on the deck of the Poling is an invitation to an embolism. Trying to do it when you realised that the upline you've followed ends abruptly 60 feet from the surface...

Just because the Poling is a half mile outside of the breakwater and some charter boats go there 5-6 times a week is no reason to get complacent and underestimate it. It's cold and dark and deep there. Visability... well, it's New England, need we say more? Diving it on an AL 80 leaves very little room for error. I get narced there if I'm on 21%. When I get narced I get real tunnel vision. Maybe that's what happened to you, focusing on taking pictures instead of the bigger picture of, "Ok, now how do I get home?"

One other thing. Because Fran says he routinely has to rescue divers from their own stupidity doesn't mean he likes it. I was with him earlier this spring when a diver popped to the surface 200 yards away, thrashing wildly. He'd done a free descent like you, didn't land on the boat and ended up searching for the wreck until he got low on air. He headed to the surface, panicked, dumped his weights and shot to the top. I was climbing back onboard at the time and saw Frans face go white as he hustled to get everyone aboard so he could go rescue one of his passengers. Believe me, he doesn't like it. He's a conscientious captain and a good man and feels responsible for the people on his boat. He's too much of a gentleman to say anything. Don't put him in that position.

The best way to avoid a life threatening situation is to think thru, in advance, what you are going to do if such and such a situation arises. The next best way to avoid a life threatening situation is have an open, non-accusatory discussion of what happened to someone else in the hope that you can learn from their mistakes. I hope that's what we're doing here. I don't think anyone here is trying to crucify you. But given the cavalier way you are describing what happened makes many of us question if you even understand how much trouble you were in.

Paulthenurse

(Edited for punctuation)

I'm going to go for my AOW next year. One of the dives is a deep dive to the polling. I wonder what that's going to be like? I'll most likely be using my 7/5 wetsuit with a 3mil core warmer, a steel HP100, primary and backup lights. It sounds like fun, but I don't think I would dive it with my buddy even after passing the AOW. He's got the same experience level as I. What's the best way to get more experience? Should I pay to have one of the instructors from my LDS go with me as a guide when I dive the polling? I've done two boat dives before, but they were under 40fsw.

Lursxt:
What's the best way to get more experience? Should I pay to have one of the instructors from my LDS go with me as a guide when I dive the polling? I've done two boat dives before, but they were under 40fsw.

In general I'd say the Poling is a very good wreck to get experience on. It is at a managable depth, usually has decent vis, manageable currents, and it is a pretty simple wreck to navigate.

Once you have done your AOW dive on the wreck, you'll have to evaluate your own comfort level but at that point I imagine you'll probably feel better about diving it without an instructor and as an AOW diver you should be qualified to do it without professional supervision. And I really can't think of a better wreck in that area to start building some experience.

Lursxt:
I'm going to go for my AOW next year. One of the dives is a deep dive to the polling. I wonder what that's going to be like? I'll most likely be using my 7/5 wetsuit with a 3mil core warmer, a steel HP100, primary and backup lights. It sounds like fun, but I don't think I would dive it with my buddy even after passing the AOW. He's got the same experience level as I. What's the best way to get more experience? Should I pay to have one of the instructors from my LDS go with me as a guide when I dive the polling? I've done two boat dives before, but they were under 40fsw.

You're the best one to judge your confidence level. The skills requred won't be much different than what you already have.

You're likely to find the Poling has good ambient light, minimal current and a nice, reassuring mooring line to control your descent and ascent. You'll find many interesting things on the wreck that will distract you from feeling anxious about the depth. :D

If you want to increase your confidence level, try going to Folly Cove or Cathedral Rocks for some depths of 60 to 80'.

Don't pay for a guide.... I'll guide you for free if you pay for my dive! :)

Dave C

Like I said I've learned quited a lot for my first experience on the poling. I leanred what I should have done and I will put that into practice the next time I do that wreck.

I do like the advice in which I've received the lst couple of days and perhaps I'm a bit defensive in my replies. I guess we're never as good as we think that we are specially when it comes to diving. The one really sport that I enjoy very much in doing. The one real reason why I'm kinda non chalaunt if that's the correct way to spell it. Is that I didn't panic.

I probably wasn't as far out as I thought, because the smaller the target in size the farther away it seems. Like wise the larger the target the closer it seems then it actually is.

I was thinking quite a bit if I should have posted my experience, but i'm glad that I did, because maybe someone else wil learn from it and they will not repeat the mistakes that I did.

Sure Pauly maybe the next time I do OGB I'll attatch a line to a lobster bouy. :no

STOGEY:
Sure Pauly maybe the next time I do OGB I'll attatch a line to a lobster bouy. :no

Sorry you feel that way. If you re-read my last paragraph you should see that my intent was not to embarass or ridicule you, but to continue an open, honest discussion (which you initiated) about what happened for the benefit of all the readers on this board. You and I included.

PTN

I did read your last paragraph and I'm not embarassed, if someone does learn something from my post then I'm definetely ok with that.

STOGEY:
By the way Fran has picked up many a diver before me. In fact he picked up a techy diver the week before. So I don't know what the problem is here. Yes next time I do the Poling I'll definetely go down the bow line and I'll have that line with me.

The only times anyone should be picked up by the dive boat is when it is the dive plan mentioned in the pre-dive briefing(for example, drift dive) or as the result of an in water emergency. Charter boat divers should never plan on doing that or make a habit of doing a free descent/ascent. I'm sure you realize that now and have learned, as others hopefully have, from your experiences on the Poling. Remember two adages...whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger(and wiser) and don't make the same mistake twice!

Good luck,

LobstaMan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom